- 135 applicants (31%)
Writer/Editor (Retainer- Multiple positions)
Job categories Communications
Department/officeDP, CG, Communications Group
Duty station Home based
Contract type International ICA
Contract levelII CA-1
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Communications Manager Digital and Content, and working closely with colleagues within UNOPS Communications Group and other units and offices across the organization, the Writer/Editor (Retainer) will provide high-quality writing, editing and proofreading services for a broad range of primarily external communications products. Some writing and editing support for internal communications products may also be required.
The Writer/editor (Retainer) should possess strong attention to detail and will be tasked with ensuring all written content is free from spelling and grammatical errors, factually accurate, adheres to UNOPS writing style guides and generally meets UNOPS high-quality content standards.
The Writer/editor (Retainer) should demonstrate a professional, client- oriented approach, and will be responsible for ensuring the effective and efficient provision of services, confidentiality as needed, and the timely delivery of assignments and commitments in accordance with timelines agreed on.
The writer/Editor will perform the following functions:
Write, copy edit and/or proofread a range of externally-facing content about UNOPS work and activities including news articles, feature stories, newsletters, op-eds, blogs, press releases, publications and reports, brochures and information sheets
- Provide writing support for social media campaigns covering a diverse range of themes and for a variety of social media channels.
- Provide writing, editing and/or proofreading support for internal communications products as needed
- Liaise with colleagues from various offices and units across the organization including corporate units based at UNOPS headquarters and project teams in the field to discuss assignment details and feedback on submitted work
- Implement changes based on feedback provided by UNOPS teams
- Ensure the timely delivery of writing/editing/proofreading assignments in accordance with agreed on specifications and timelines
Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization. (for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above)
Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
- Advanced university (Master’s) degree, preferably in journalism, communications, social sciences, or other relevant areas of expertise is required
- A combination of a first-level university degree with two additional years of relevant work experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree
- Minimum of two years relevant experience in a writing, editing or similar communications-focused role
- Experience writing, proofreading and copy editing externally-facing high-quality, engaging content is required
- Strong proofreading and editing skills with a focus on spelling, grammar, factual accuracy, language consistency and implementing house style guides are required
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills are highly desirable
- Excellent organization and planning skills are highly desirable
- Fluency in English is required, with excellent English writing skills and copy editing
- Knowledge of French or Spanish would be an asset
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: International Individual Contractor Agreement
Contract level: IICA-1 / ICS 8
Contract duration: One year (12 months) initially, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and availability of funds
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
More information on retainer contracts:
- A retainer ICA does not accord any exclusivity to the Individual Contractor with respect to the Services listed in the job description. UNOPS shall have no limitation on its right to obtain Services of the same kind from any other source at any time.
- A retainer Individual Contractor Agreement (ICA) is issued for a period of time during which the services of the individual contractor may be required intermittently.
- A retainer ICA will specify a unit price (e.g. amount per day actually worked). For budgetary purposes, a monetary limit will be specified at the time the ICA is awarded and issued.
- UNOPS shall have no obligation to obtain any minimum quantity of Services from the Individual Contractor during the duration of the retainer ICA.
- Payment will be made only after completion of work (if any) or reaching agreed milestones.
- UNOPS Individual Contractors must comply with the standards of conduct required of a UN civil servant, when carrying out their official UNOPS responsibilities and also all other times. This includes the standards of conduct set forth in the UN Secretary-General’s Bulletin of 9 October 2003 entitled Special Measures for Protection from Sexual Exploitation and Sexual Abuse (ST/SGB/2003/13) and the UN Secretary-General’s Bulletin of 18 June 2002 entitled “Regulations Governing the Status, Basic Rights and Duties of Officials other than Secretariat Officials, and Experts on Mission” (ST/SGB/2002/9) as they may be amended from time to time.
- UNOPS Individual Contractors must comply with all applicable UNOPS policies and instructions. This includes the obligation to declare any outside activity that could result in an actual or perceived conflict with the interests of the UN; as well as to refrain from using information gained through the UNOPS Individual Contractor Agreement contract for the Individual Contractor’s own purposes or to help a third party (unless the information is already in the public domain), in particular but not only in relation to procurement of works, goods and services.
- UNOPS Individual Contractors must abide by UN safety and security policies, instructions, directives, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
The standard terms and conditions of the UNOPS ICA as of the present date can be found athttps://content.unops.org/HR-Documents/ICAcontract/Annex-A-ENGLISH.pdf_
Given the nature of this position, particular attention should be given to section 11 on Confidentiality.