Copywriter and Editor
- USA Only
COPYWRITER & EDITOR
- Full-Time- Location: US, Remote
WHO WE ARE
The Humane League (THL) is a global nonprofit ending the abuse of animals raised for food. THL fosters a high-energy culture of teamwork and mission- driven problem solving, and we have earned recognition as Top Charity from Animal Charity Evaluators for all of their rating periods. Over the past few years, we’ve grown to a staff of 90+ talented individuals dispersed across the country and around the world.
We are looking for a Copywriter & Editor who can create snackable copy and engaging, emotive stories that bring others along with us on this impactful journey. Your position is pivotal in ensuring The Humane League communicates with one unified, professional, and persuasive voice. This role is key to creating, and editing, world-class, inspiring, emotionally provoking, engaging, persuasive, behavior-changing, and action-invoking communications. Within this role, you are responsible for generating the powerful words that accompany our visual assets.
You are ideal for this position because you have professional experience in copywriting and copy editing, with a proven track record in crafting compelling, high-impact, and grammatically sound short-form, conversion- driving copy, and long-form editorial content for a range of audiences and mediums.
This is a full-time, remote position. This position requires limited travel, equivalent to approximately 2-3 trips per year. We are only able to consider applicants who possess United States work authorization. To start, this position reports to the Content Manager. This is subject to change as our team grows.
- Ensure we have one unified voice across the organization by aligning content you write and edit to our Style Guide.
- Regularly update and expand our Style Guide as needed, and train other staff members in our Style Guide for consistency across the organization.
- Produce concise, catchy, and grammatically correct content.
- Write and edit compelling, cohesive storytelling content across all platforms and mediums—including blog articles, emails, web pages, brochures, advertisements, social media campaigns, videos, and more.
- Collaborate with designers and other content creators to write and edit copy in-line with specific goals, layouts, and other considerations on a project-by-project basis.
- Propose copy concepts, present underlying strategic thinking, and incorporate feedback from stakeholders.
- Simultaneously manage multiple projects with short deadlines in a dynamic environment.
- Occasionally support and partner with our community of freelance writers and editors—editing their work and giving constructive feedback to drive continuous growth.
- Specific areas of writing and editing include:
- Emails (fundraising appeals, digest-style e-news, campaign mobilization emails, community-building organizing emails, and other email series to onboard and engage supporters)
- Web content for new landing pages, campaigns, and other growth initiatives
- Blog content (short-form and long-form, including articles written to improve our SEO keyword rankings and discoverability)
- Development fundraising content (quarterly and annual reports, digital and direct mail fundraising appeals—including emails, web, ads, and print pieces)
- Campaign content (taglines, catchphrases, web copy, petition copy, ads, etc.)
- Video scripts
- Digital ads and SMS campaigns
- Flagship communications campaigns and projects (brochures, media kit, new marketing campaigns) with an emphasis on telling emotionally engaging and snackable stories about our mission and our shared work
- Superb verbal and written communications skills, with a keen eye for grammar
- Strength in crafting persuasive, impactful, editorial, and emotive stories across short- and long- form content
- Ability to efficiently produce effective and results-driving content based on a specific goal at hand
- Experience creating short, snackable marketing copy (that doesn’t read like marketing copy)
- Proven ability to think beyond a static piece of content to the larger user journey and experience
- Foundational experience optimizing/writing content for Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- Ability to QA and publish emails and blogs to a CRM and CMS, respectively
- Proactive self-starter driven to create a notable volume of quality content
- Highly organized, with a penchant for creating and maintaining clear deadlines and project workflows for writing and editing
- Ability to effectively collaborate with others across teams and different areas of expertise
- At least three years of professional copywriting & editing experience
- Expertise in the AP Style Guide
- Experience writing effective fundraising appeals
- Experience optimizing for conversions in writing and editing
- Experience in SEO and increasing SERP’s
- Experience in managing content within a CMS platform (e.g., Contentful or WordPress)
- Experience with a CRM platform (e.g., Every Action, Mailchimp)
- Experience with a project management tool (e.g., Asana, Trello)
- Familiarity with design principles, typography, layout, in order to facilitate clear communication with design
- Experience in journalism and writing for media
- Professional or personal experience working in the animal protection space
Starting salary $47,350 or salary to commensurate with experience.
Employees enjoy full medical coverage, optional dental and vision packages, a 401(k) retirement plan, optional pet insurance, working from home, up to 12 weeks of paid parental leave for eligible employees, paid holidays, flexible vacation time, professional development, and the supportive environment at The Humane League!
At The Humane League (THL), animal welfare is at the forefront of our everyday work. As such, many of our staff are vegan by personal choice, and all of our THL-hosted events offer fully vegan menus. We welcome all mission-aligned candidates to apply, no matter where you are in your journey to end the abuse of animals raised for food.
The Humane League is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, people with disabilities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. In compliance with laws and in furtherance of our commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, or veteran status.
The Humane League is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please email People Operations (email@example.com) and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.