Content Programming Associate
- USA Only
- 1 applicant
The Athletic is a digital sports media company that brings true sports fans closer to the athletes, teams and leagues that captivate their attention. We serve a multi-faceted audience that craves a richer connection and understanding with immersive storytelling and a like-minded community of fans. Founded in 2016 and with major operational hubs in San Francisco, Los Angeles, London and Melbourne, we empower a truly global team of more than 600 creators and cover more than 250 professional sports and collegiate teams across the United States, Canada and the UK. Our newsroom has produced thousands of in- depth reports along with more than 120 podcasts and other forms of premium content. Put simply, The Athletic is at the center of a sports fan’s universe.
About the Role
The Athletic is looking for passionate sports fan with copywriting proficiency and an eye for great content to join our team as a Programming Associate. In this fast-paced role, you’ll be responsible for curation, packaging and distribution of original content across various channels including, but not limited to, The Athletic web home page, app feeds, push alerts, newsletters and The New York Times. The Programming Associate will be an expert on content produced by our staff of 400+ UK and U.S. journalists, be able to flourish in a fast-paced environment, and be expected to assist on high-level projects around our content distribution strategies.
This role will be remote for candidate located in the US or Canada.
- Execute content programming and distribution strategy, including curation and distribution of articles, podcasts, and video.
- Identify highly engaging content from across our newsroom to broaden The Athletic’s reach to subscriber and potential subscriber audiences.
- Serve as the curation expert across the The Athletic homepage, league pages and app in real-time.
- Write and send daily push alert notifications for team and league followers.
- Develop copy that advances The Athletic’s voice and targets relevant audiences based on the platform and its user experience.
- Monitor real-time analytics to inform curation and homepage strategy.
- Assist in planning and strategizing multi-channel campaigns around priority content and key events.
- Communicate with editors from across the newsroom to proactively identify high-performing content, plan programming strategy across channels, and provide quantitative and qualitative feedback on content performance.
- Collaborate with social, marketing, design and our newsroom to align voice across all platforms.
- 1-3 years experience in journalism/media, content programming, digital marketing, social media or similar (sports media preferred) .
- Experience writing headlines and homepage packaging with a strong eye for detail.
- Data-driven and analytical; ability to think critically around metrics.
- Strong understanding of The Athletic, its subscribers and the larger sports media space.
- High-quality news judgment with the ability to identify the biggest stories of the day and how they relate to the larger news cycle.
- Clear communicator and can disseminate information concisely to various stakeholder groups.
- Knowledge of U.S professional / collegiate sports (NFL, CFB, NBA, WNBA, MLB, NHL, CBB) is preferred.
- This role will be remote for candidate located in the US or Canada.
The annual base salary range for this role is $50,000.00 – $60,000.00 USD. The total compensation offered for this position may vary based on factors such as education, experience, skills, and location. It may also include non- cash rewards and benefits. The base salary range is subject to change and may be modified in the future.
The Athletic offers unique perks and benefits to all full-time employees based on their country of residence. Our comprehensive US benefits package includes:
– Highly competitive, employer-contributed medical, dental, vision, basic life and disability insurance plans.
– Savings accounts for medical, wellness, and childcare expenses.
– 401k retirement savings plan and employer match.
– Paid time off including paid sick leave, 11 paid holidays, up to 20 days of accrued paid time off, and up to 20 weeks of Paid Parental Leave.
For international candidates: Our global benefits packages offer similar benefits and perks, competitive to the local market.
The Athletic Media Company is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. The Athletic will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.
Click here to review ourApplicant Privacy Notice, which describes how and when The Athletic Media Company collects, uses, and shares certain personal information of job applicants and prospective employees.