Usability Test Specialist
Would you like to join a team of dedicated usability researchers, who analyze cutting-edge User Experience research? Producing UX research findings that will be used by thousands of web professionals, including some of the biggest brands in the world (including Nike, Sears, Lenovo, Etsy)? Are you passionate about conducting UX testing, and generating the key data points to provide the foundation for UX guidelines?
Then apply for the following remote full-time position at Baymard Institute.
About Your Job at Baymard
A sincere passion for, and demonstrated excellence in, usability test moderation and analysis is essential as you’ll be spending at least 80% of your time moderating and annotating usability test sessions.
In this position, you will join Baymard’s team of usability researchers and conduct moderated usability test sessions with hundreds of participants on the world’s top e-commerce sites. You’ll also take the video of those test sessions and break them down into the thousands of observed UX issues that are later used by our usability research writers to create usability guidelines. The guidelines go directly into our subscription platform Baymard Premium (https://baymard.com/research).
This job calls for someone extremely detail oriented, who enjoys working independently for long stretches. Over the course of a year at Baymard we’ll typically generate over 400, hour-long research test sessions, and each session typically takes a full workday to annotate. You’ll be responsible for annotating the majority of these test session videos.
Our Baymard Premium customers are eagerly waiting for our UX research insights, be it the UI designer at Nike or the e-commerce director at Lenovo, as they use it as direct input for their UX and UI design decisions.
In this role, you’ll need to enjoy UX test moderation and test session annotation, since testing with users and annotating the usability test session recordings will be at least 80–90% of what you’ll be doing all year round.
The bulk of testing is likely to be remote moderated, but in-person testing is also a possibility, depending on the research being conducted.
In this job, you’ll be directly shaping the future of e-commerce and providing the critical foundation for the UX research we do at Baymard.
This position is full-time permanent and 100% remote (note that you are expected to have at least 2 hours of daily overlap with Europe/US during traditional business hours).
You will help expand and strengthen Baymard's research core, which is the foundation for all of our products and services.
While we will train you in Baymard’s testing and analysis processes, we expect that you have the following qualifications. The numbers in brackets indicate the weighted importance of each on a 7-point scale (higher = more important). These weights reflect how candidates are evaluated, so make sure your application illustrates your prowess in the highest-weighted skills and traits.
- [7/7] Requirement: Strong reasoning and logical deduction skills. Specifically in relation to your ability to deconstruct user behavior and understand what can and cannot be concluded from our usability research data, with the goal of generating usable data points for researchers to use later in analysis and writing.
- [7/7] ability to be self-motivated and and work independently on the task of doing video annotation for 2–4 weeks in a row.
- [5/7] Experience with usability test session moderation , one-to-one think-aloud in-person and remote moderated testing (ideally with a focus in e-commerce).
- [3/7] Ability to work simultaneously on multiple projects at once.
- [3/7] Familiarity with the ‘ web industry ’ and especially its jargon (can be from experience with web development, design, research, writing, etc.).
- [3/7] Good writing and communication skills, specifically with regards to documenting observed UX issues and communicating with the other members of the research team.
Salary: in accordance with qualifications
Start date: preferably early 2022
How to Apply
If you’re interested in this position, please send the following:
- A list describing relevant usability research experience.
- A cover letter that describes which of 6 above-listed job qualifications you meet and how you meet them.
- Other information you find relevant (hobbies, interests, work experience, CV, etc.).
Send the above to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject header being “Application for Usability Test Specialist position at Baymard” (all applications and materials are treated confidentially).
Deadline is December 6, 2021.
Note: Based on the applications, a few selected candidates will be assigned a paid UX moderation and analysis test which will be the main evaluation criterion for the position. This will also be a good way for you to get a feel for the primary task of this job. (The test will be performed remotely. You’ll moderate a test session and analyze a test session dataset within a 10-day deadline.)
Jamie & Christian
Founders of the Baymard Institute
Referral Bonus:If this job isn’t you, but you know someone who’ll be the perfect fit, please send them the link to this page. If we end up hiring the person you referred, we’ll give you one year of access to a Baymard Premium ‘Medium’ (https://baymard.com/research) plan (a $1,560 value).