Senior QA Analyst
- USA Only
Defiant is hiring a senior QA Analyst. You’ll be working on a range of products in our organization including the Wordfence plugin, our ecommerce website, our internal threat intelligence platform, our customer service tools and much more.
The job is 100% remote. You can work from anywhere as long as you have bandwidth. We do most of our calls voice only, and we also use push-to-talk so you can operate in noisy environments like a coffee shop, while traveling, or with kids around.
We are looking for individuals who don’t just do the minimum. Our team tries harder, goes further, digs deeper, pushes technology beyond its customary boundaries. WordPress powers 40% of the web, and we are the leaders in WordPress security. Compromise or complacency is not an option for us.
The salary range for this role is $90,000 to $120,000 with full benefits. It includes a no strings attached $15,000 dollar signing bonus on your first paycheck. We are confident you’ll love working at Defiant and being a part of our amazing team, and our signing bonus reflects that.
*Required core hours of 10am - 1pm Pacific Time, Monday through Friday.
OK But What Is Defiant Really Like?
The easiest way to explain what Defiant is really like is by explaining what guides our thinking. Before Kerry and I were founders and C-suite execs in a high-growth company, we were employees. One pattern we kept seeing in the UK and the USA is what we call the “glass room”.
The glass room is where the execs, VPs, and managers all go to discuss things that are clearly above your pay grade. They shut the door, lest you accidentally overhear what you’ll be working on. Think of the consequences if that happened!! You may provide useful input, thereby stealing some execs thunder, or making a VP look bad! And allowing engineers to have input on what we’re architecting, or allowing the customer service team to represent the customer can’t possibly be helpful. Can it?
We firmly believe that hierarchical organizations are unproductive, broken and toxic. Defiant is a flat organization, not just in how we describe ourselves, but you’ll notice in our meetings that we create a lot of space for team members at any level to bring their side of the conversation. The way that our leadership team does this is by listening - and I mean really listening - to our colleagues at all levels.
All our regularly scheduled calls are voice only. The only time we do video is on Halloween when we dress up, or on external calls where the other party asks for a video call. Voice is a great leveler. It gives everyone an opportunity to participate and avoids the distraction of video. It lets you have a truly cerebral connection with your colleague as you’re collaborating on solving a complex problem.
We’re a cybersecurity company, so of course our team loves anything related to hacking culture. Prior to Covid (and once it wraps) we all attend DEF CON, one of the largest hacking conferences in the world. We like to pick locks, compete in capture-the-flag contests and break things in unexpected ways.
If you’re new to cybersecurity, that’s OK! We actually think of vulnerabilities as celebrity bugs, and think of threat research as a branch of QA. So bring your QA skills and you’ll fit right in!
At Defiant, we have one core value, and that is “Trust”. We have to be able to trust that you’ll do a great job working remotely, be available during our core hours, and once you run out of work, find other ways to contribute. We don’t micro-manage and we don’t continuously monitor our team or their productivity. If you need that kind of monitoring, then Defiant isn’t the place for you. If you love QA, are passionate about your job, are productive, and can help the team ship great software, you’ll be very successful at Defiant.
The specific skills we require for this position are:
- Experience testing complex web applications is required.
- Experience with LAMP stacks specifically is preferred.
- The ability to trace execution in PHP code is required.
- Understanding of client-side errors, how to find them, and how to interpret them.
- Experience working with a bug tracking system like Fogbugz, which is what we use.
- Knowledge of software development life cycles is helpful.
- Experience or knowledge of the operational elements of developing LAMP applications is beneficial.
- SQL knowledge is required.
- AWS experience is preferred.
- Experience writing and executing test cases
All positions require a trial period of approximately 3 weeks with a minimum commitment of 10 hours per week. These hours do not need to be during our core hours. You will be paid for this short-term contract, and it will be used to evaluate whether both parties want to pursue an ongoing, regular employment relationship.
All offers of employment are contingent on the successful completion of a background check. The results of the background check are considered as they relate to the position and do not automatically disqualify someone from an offer of employment with the company.
- Full time telecommuting and flexible working hours, with a company that has been 100% remote for over 8 years.
- 100% employee premium and 50% of dependent premium paid by company for premier- level medical, dental, and vision insurance.
- 21 days PTO per year to start.
- 12 paid company holidays including the week from December 25 to January 1.
- 401(k) with a 4% Safe Harbor company match that is 100% vested immediately.
- Latest in laptop and workstation technology.
- Wellness reimbursement program for health and fitness purchases.
- Mobile phone and internet reimbursement up to $100 per month.
- Monthly beverage reimbursement for coffee, tea, water, etc.
- Paid training and study time for work-related training and certifications.
- College tuition reimbursement.
Diversity at Defiant
We value diversity and do not discriminate based on race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, gender identity or expression, marital status, sexual orientation, political ideology, economic status, parental status, or any other non-performance-related status.