Staff Software Engineer - Backend
- USA Only
- 0 applicants
Title: Staff Software Engineer – Backend
Location: Remote – United States
Iterable is the customer activation platform that helps brands deliver joyful experiences with harmonized, individualized, and dynamic communications at scale Iterable is built for marketers, trusted by engineers, and designed with intelligence. We know this space well: our product team built the growth systems that powered Twitter’s early success. We’ve surpassed $100M in ARR and have raised more than $340M from top-tier investors like Index Ventures, Viking, and CRV, and hundreds of companies like Zillow, SeatGeek, and Box rely on us to captivate their many millions of users.
Developed for the enterprise, Iterable is built from modern technologies that transform cloud, partner and tool-specific data into integrated, personalized engagements. No matter the audience size or degree of campaign sophistication, Iterable empowers brands to implement where it matters most creating experiences and promoting connections with over 2 billion people world-wide. Leading brands, like Zillow, DoorDash, Calm, Madison Reed, and Box, choose Iterable to power excellent customer experiences throughout the entire lifecycle.
Iterable’s momentum grows daily and there has never been a more exciting time to join the team! We’ve been recognized as one of the Best Places to Work – SF for the past four years, one of the Best Places to Work in Colorado for the past two years, and were named as one of Colorado’s Best Paying Companies! We’ve also been listed on Wealthfront’s Career Launching Companies List for the past two years, rank sixth on the list of Top 25 Companies Where Women Want to Work and hold a top 20 spot among the SaaS 100.
We have a global presence with offices in San Francisco, New York, Denver, and London, and remote employees located all over the world. As we scale, we continue to live by our core four, founding values – Trust, Growth Mindset, Balance, and Humility. To understand the Iterable story, and learn more about our mission, explore our Culture and About Us page.
How you will make an impact:
As a Staff Software Engineer – Backend at Iterable, you’ll be responsible for the core platform used by our growing customer base. One of the many ways we improve our company’s marketing automation is with Audience . A feature that allows customers to create, access, and organize lists of users. We strive towards excellence as we maintain, scale, and improve. Making this platform easy to use and attractive for non-technical users is extremely important. Our Engineering team works closely with Product, Design, Infrastructure, and SRE to bring next-generation marketing solutions to our massively-scalable platform. We believe in building an Engineering culture guided by our company values which you can learn more about here.
One of our core values is a growth mindset and Iterable is a company where everyone can grow. If this is a role that excites you, please do apply as we value applicants for the skills they bring beyond a job description.
How you will make a difference:
- Own the back-end of the product with a huge amount of autonomy
- Demonstrates curiosity and a growth mindset; fosters an environment that supports learning, innovation, and intelligent risk-taking.
- Architect and develop solutions to scale a complex platform that reaches millions of users
- Knowledge of technologies used in building scalable, distributed systems in virtualized cloud environments like AWS.
- Collaborate with frontend, backend, product, and design to conceptualize and build new product features
- Provide direction for your team and guide standards across the Engineering organization
- Have the attitude of always improving your knowledge and skills by learning continuously
- Improve Engineering processes, tooling, and efficiency
- Contribute to open source projects, including Apache Pulsar and Play Framework
- Speak at conferences and meetups
- Mentor and guide team members
- Positively influence the engineering culture
We are looking for people who have:
- Relevant industry experience building production-ready, scalable web applications
- Proficiency in at least one modern programming language (ideally Scala and/or Java)
- Extensive experience with Elasticsearch and/or other relevant technologies
- Ability to facilitate discussions within your team and cross-functionally
- A desire to be part of a values-driven Engineering team
- Passion for learning — always improving yourself and the team around you
- Programming Language: Scala
- Databases: Elasticsearch, Postgres, Redis
- Infrastructure: RabbitMQ, Pulsar, Kafka, AWS
- Other Relevant Technologies: Docker / Kubernetes, React
- Experience with large scale performance testing
- Experience with functional programming and the JVM
Perks & Benefits:
- Paid parental leave
- Competitive salaries, meaningful equity, & 401(k) plan
- Medical, dental, vision, & life insurance
- Balance Day (First Friday off every month)
- Fertility & Adoption Assistance
- Paid Sabbatical
- Flexible PTO
- Daily lunch allowance
- Monthly Employee Wellness allowance
- Quarterly Professional Development allowance
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Complete laptop workstation
The annual base salary range for this position is $191,000 – $219,450. This range reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position across all US locations. Within the range, individual pay is determined based on factors including job-related skills, experience, relevant education or training, and internal equity considerations. While we use our full salary ranges, we only consider offering a salary near the top of the range in situations where the candidate far exceeds the experience level and skills required for the role.
Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only. The total compensation package includes variable pay (where applicable), equity, plus a range of benefits, including medical, dental, vision, and financial. In addition we offer perks such as a lunch subsidy and generous stipends for health & fitness and learning & development, among others.