Staff Software Engineer
- USA Only
Title: Staff Software Engineer
- Do you want to work in a remote-first setting with people who love what they do while building a product that has real impact?
- We’re looking for passionate, product-focused software engineers who have hacked systems in creative ways, who are curious about new languages, technologies, and trends.
- We believe that working hard is a byproduct of loving what you do and not something that can be measured on a timesheet.
- At Armory, you’ll work in small, collaborative, remote-first teams, interface directly with customers, and build awesome products that address real problems.
Do you have experience with some or most of the below? We’d love to talk!
- 9+ years experience
- One or more of AWS, GCP, or Azure
- One or more of Kubernetes, Mesos/DCOS, or Docker Swarm
- Docker or related container technology
- RESTful APIs
- Familiarity with Java and Go
- Strong communication skills, able to communicate complex technical ideas to anyone
Our current tech stack is JVM-based web-services (Java11), Go, Kubernetes, Typescript, SpringBoot, AWS, and, of course, a strong focus on dogfooding our own continuous delivery tools. You don’t have to know our exact tech stack, but you should be familiar with similar tools and willing to learn.
Armory builds products in the DevOps domain. These skills go beyond traditional programming language and development tool usage skills. Additionally, Armory’s product is based on Spinnaker, which is an open-source project owned by the Continuous Delivery Foundation (CDF.) Software engineers need additional skills to hold positions in the open-source community.
Skills from the DevOps Space
- Cloud Technologies including Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud Platform, and Azure
- Containerization orchestration technologies including Kubernetes.
- Strong understanding of distributed systems architecture principles
Expectation: Demonstrates owning well-defined projects from beginning to end. Utilizes a focused range of domain-specific special skills.
- Independently scopes flexible technical solutions
- Is able to break down ambiguous problems into smaller technical solutions and delegate
- Anticipates technical uncertainties.
- Trusted to design and implement cross-team level technical solutions.
- Garners resources required to complete their work.
- Seeks out and drives customer feedback into our product.
- Recognized as expert in most of our codebases/features.
- Seeks out tools and technologies that are not currently used and their potential applications to individual features.
- Considers the effects of their work across multiple teams.
- Proactively manages potential issues to advance strategic initiatives and company goals.
- Identifies metrics to measure impact and support broader strategic initiatives.
- Guides teams to improve code structure and maintainability.
- Identifies cross-team impacting problems, suggests solutions, and drives resolutions.
- Mentors engineers both technically and culturally.
- Helps others write high quality code, make technical decisions, and resolve blockers.
- Receives little instruction on day-to-day and longer-term work.
- Contributes to recruiting and team-building exercises
- Effectively communicates complex technical issues to a cross-functional audience.
- Engages in productive dialogue involving multiple viewpoints or conflicting perspectives both inside the team and between teams.
Armory is a Series C startup backed by Y Combinator(W17), Javelin, Crosslink Capital, B Capital Group, and Insight Partners founded in San Mateo, Ca but now fully remote. Our vision is to unlock innovation through software, and we accomplish by making software delivery continuous, collaborative, scalable, and safe. Our Armory Enteprise platform (based on Spinnaker) automates software delivery to make engineers happy and productive.
Everyone at Armory works reasonable, flexible hours. We look for people who are thoughtful, can break down problems, work individually sometimes, and in pairs or teams at other times. You are trusted to work on your own but ask for help when you are blocked. Empathy for your coworkers and our customers is an important part of success here.
Want to dig deeper?
- See what our CEO had to say about wrapping up 2021: https://www.armory.io/blog/welcoming-2022/
- Learn a little bit more about our product: https://www.armory.io/blog/reducing-risk-by-automating-security-with-continuous-delivery/
- Read what our engineers are writing about: https://www.armory.io/blog/resiliency-and-load-distribution/
- Hear what our customers are saying about us: https://youtu.be/LwAvC8nhfcE
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Why join Armory? Armory is a Series C startup backed by B-Capital, Insight, Crosslink Capital, Y Combinator (W17), Bain Capital, and Javelin Venture Partners based in San Mateo, CA. With Armory & Spinnaker developers are empowered to deploy their code with increased safety, resilience, velocity, and compliance, to any production target on prem or in the cloud.
Spinnaker is the world’s most powerful continuous delivery platform, developed and open sourced by Netflix and Google, and battle-tested in production by hundreds of the world’s leading enterprises. Spinnaker is an open source platform with a modern, developer-friendly view of software delivery. It is target agnostic, so teams can instantly deploy their code at scale to any and all clouds using a single, golden path to production.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations for all qualified individuals with a disability. If you require assistance or accommodation due to a disability or special need, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Armory is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity in our workplace, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or other legally protected characteristics.