- 0 applicants (0%)
About the Role
The staff engineer is a technical leader within the organization, able to design, breakdown and complete engineering projects of the highest complexity. The staff engineer role is able to mentor and lead project teams and co-owns the success of the product team with the Engineering Director. The product team collaborates across functions to organize the development cycle into sprints with inputs from marketing and customer success.
- Be a partner to the CEO, working closely with them to deliver the business vision and strategy in equilibrium with maintaining a healthy engineering environment for product growth.
- Be an inspiring technical leader to the team, guiding and collaborating with all stakeholders to deliver large features and improvements while maintaining a high level of quality.
- Solve technical challenges of the highest complexity with minimal guidance. Promote innovation within the team by exploring new solutions to problems impacting product growth or team performance.
- Identify and develop a technical vision complementing the business vision. Advocate for improvements to product quality, performance, observability, maintainability, and security.
- Ensure the product meets Relay's Engineering guidelines on technical practices, software delivery, and operational performance. Advocate and guide the team toward DevOps adoption.
- Iteratively identify and drive improvements to processes and guidelines. Lead by example and encourage documentation for clarity, transparency, and efficient communication in an all-remote workplace.
- Provide mentorship for other engineers and help them grow as technical contributors and thrive independently.
- Demonstrate Relay’s core values in all professional interactions
Requirements & Preferred Qualifications
- 12+ years of production Ruby experience.
- Strong experience with PostgreSQL or MySQL.
- Significant experience with high-traffic Sidekiq setups.
- Highly desirable: experience with infrastructure on AWS/GCP.
- Highly desirable: experience with observability tools.
- Strong sense of ownership.
- Ability to balance business needs and deliver high-quality solutions.
Relay is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
Relay offers benefits including free ongoing learning resources, in-person team retreats to complement our fully remote work culture, and unlimited PTO. We're a fast growing team and welcome everyone excited about joining an early stage startup managing a portfolio of ecommerce software companies.