Software Engineer - Java Full Stack | Remote
Who We Are:
Cardinal Financial is a fast-growing, technology-based mortgage lender reinventing how people get home loans. We understand great people are the key to great companies.
Who We Need:
We're looking for a bright, hard-working, and passionate full-stack Java software engineer that wants to be part of a team and company building great technology.
What You'll Do:
- You'll collaborate with an intelligent and supportive engineering team in an agile environment, and with management and stakeholders that love the technology we produce.
- You’ll do full-stack development because it benefits the team and product when an engineer is familiar with the entire stack.
- You’ll manage your stories completely, including prioritization, working with stakeholders for design and specs, communicating status to all, writing the code, and documenting what you've done.
- You’ll write clean, concise code, and robust unit tests.
- You'll create well-designed UIs that make our users productive and simple for our customers to understand.
- You'll participate in code reviews and daily interactions to ensure our application meets our high standards. We mix up the review teams so you'll get exposed to the whole system.
- You’ll find ways to improve our applications and how we work. allowing us to make more happen with less.
What You're Like:
- You love a fast environment with a lot of churn. You take pleasure in creation, chaos, spontaneity, change, debate and silence.
- You’re passionate about great code design, great UX, security, performance and testing.
- You pride yourself on understanding projects top to bottom.
- You’re comfortable working in a team where each of us has a huge impact and we depend on each other to get things done.
- You enjoy working alone or working with others. You’re comfortable doing things even when you’re not told exactly what to do.
- You like helping others on things that have nothing to do with your project.
What You Need:
- You have a bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field and at least 2 years of software development experience on a large-scale web application.
- You communicate well whether you’re getting specs from a stakeholder, writing those specs, explaining a design to your colleagues, or patiently helping a user
- You can analyze a feature story and design a robust solution for it. You can create specs for complex business rules and calculations.
- You write well-designed code that you and others will find easy to understand and modify six months from now.
- You have a strong understanding of object-oriented design and how to implement your designs in Java. You’re comfortable with Linux commands and tools.
- You know how to design good databases and your SQL skills are solid.
- Experience implementing HTTP / XML integrations with third-party systems is a plus.
Our application is a challenging and complex system that includes lender and borrower interfaces, workflow, document management, advanced automation, and integrations with external entities and services.
The server architecture is stateless, cleanly managing the business logic and persistence layer, exposed as a RESTful JSON API. The server is written using a combination of Java 11 on Jetty, and Node.js for asynchronous tasks. Our database is MySQL with MyBatis ORM and uses Redis for caching and non- critical message queueing.
Our applications are containerized, utilizing AWS services to deploy on EC2 via ECS. We use Aurora to scale and handle DB failover. We monitor with CloudWatch and push urgent issues to PagerDuty for triage. We use Jenkins to test and deploy.
All infrastructure is built with Infrastructure-as-code tools like Terraform. Server images are built with Packer to enable reproducible results with security hardening. We use GuardDuty, AWS Config and Macie for security analysis.
We develop on Macs, manage our code in git, and collaborate using chat and Asana.
What We Offer:
- Strength, Stability, and Vision.
- Great compensation package.
- Opportunity for career growth.
- A commitment to be a relevant market leader - we are aiming for the top!
- Octane, our engineered proprietary technology that is transforming the mortgage industry.
- An empowered culture where your ideas are important and your voice matters.
- Full Benefits, beginning the first day of the month following your start date, including – Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, Disability Insurance, and much more.
- Generous paid time off package that also includes all major holidays.
- 401K w/ 50% match - Beginning the 1st of the month following 30 days of employment.