Software Engineer, Frontend
- USA Only
- 1 applicant
Title:Software Engineer, Frontend
Location: Los Angeles, CA or Remote
At any given time, 16 million Americans are experiencing a crisis that requires urgent help from our legal system or government. The right assistance could transform their lives. But today, most never get it.
Atticus makes it easy for any person in crisis to get the life-changing aid they deserve. In just three years, we’ve become the leading platform connecting people with disabilities to government benefits. We also help victims of accidents, misconduct, and violence get compensation from insurance. So far, we’ve gotten thousands of people access to over $2B in life-changing aid, and we’re just getting started.
We’ve helped more than 20,000 people in need (see our 6,000+ five-star reviews) and raised more than $50 million from top VC firms like Forerunner, GV (Google Ventures), and True Ventures. (We just closed our Series B round in May 2023, so we’re well-funded for the foreseeable future.) We’re small but moving fast our team grew from 32 to 60 last year and we expect to double in size again in 2023.
Atticus works in an industry dominated by outdated technology that is ripe for fresh thinking: our core competitors rely on massive call centers to screen clients, antiquated CRMs to track and manage cases, and paper checks to get paid (provided they’re sent to the right address).
Conversely, as a VC-backed tech company our product & engineering department powers everything we do: from creating an engaging online experience for people in crisis to providing tools for our network lawyers as they serve our clients, Atticus relies on technology to fulfill our mission.
We’re looking for Software Engineers to join our team. You’ll work on the front-end, and will partner with every department at Atticus as we continue to grow our platform to help people in need find trusted legal support.
What You’ll Do:
- Design, build and operate Atticus’ front-end applications written in React with a focus on performance, modularity, extensibility, and reliability.
- Work with product and software architects to plan and deliver features, fixes, and performance enhancements
- Leverage your peers as multipliers for your skills to create excellent products and services.
The role is a rare opportunity to join a fast-growing Series B startup that doubles as a B-corp social enterprise. Every project you take on will help clients in need get the help they deserve, and you’ll shape our company culture as we scale. We’re looking for engineers who are excited about our mission and the challenges it entails.
Who You Are:
- You have experience and love for building React applications
- You speak CSS and HTML
- You enjoy working with UI and UX experts to build compelling user experiences
- You use a modern version-control system for your source code repository (Git, Mercurial, GitHub, BitBucket).
- You lint all your code or know you should.
- You know what parts of your code require tests and you write those tests.
- You are versed in cloud computing systems (GCP, AWS, etc.) and SAAS concepts.
- You like working or want to work with Google Cloud Platform, Kubernetes, Docker, Git, Golang, Java
- You are well versed in working with or want to work with GraphQL, GraphQL Federation, REST APIs and supporting network protocols
- You can read or build a Webpack configuration
We are strongly committed to building a diverse team. If you’re from a background that’s underrepresented in tech, we’d love to meet you!
This is a rare opportunity to join a startup that has strong traction (substantial funding, well-respected backers, tremendous growth, and many happy customers) but is still small enough that you can have a huge impact and play a role in shaping our culture.
We’re a certified B Corporation tackling a critical social problem. Our mission to help people in need drives everything we do, and your work here will touch many lives.
We offer competitive pay including equity and generous benefits:
- Medical and dental insurance with 100% of employee premiums covered
- 15 vacation days & ~19 paid holidays each year (including two weeks at end-of-year)
- Free memberships to ClassPass and OneMedical
- $1,000 reimbursable stipend for education and training outside of work
- Student loan repayment assistance, 401(k), and optional HSA
- Free snacks, drinks, weekly lunches, and regular team dinners/events/retreats
- Humble, thoughtful, smart, fun colleagues
Location & Covid
Today, about half our team are in Los Angeles or Phoenix (where we have offices) and half are fully remote and spread across the U.S. There are two options for this job:
- Live in Los Angeles, work a few days a week (or more) out of our beautiful office in the Arts District.
- Live wherever, work remotely, and travel to LA (on the company dime) as needed to be with your colleagues somewhere between monthly and quarterly.
In short: You can do this job well remotely, and we’re committed to empowering everyone with flexibility. But we care a lot about building a great culture and we think some interactions need to happen in person, so we put a lot of thought into retreats, offsites, and other ways to gather.
As for Covid: When the pandemic started, we immediately shifted to fully remote to protect our team and shuttered our office. Today, everyone on the team is vaccinated, and many come in often (though we don’t require it). Going forward, you can expect that vaccinations will be required for all employees (unless medically unable) and that if a variant emerges that makes in-person work unsafe for vaccinated people, we’ll close our office, cease any travel, and do whatever it takes to protect and support our team.