Senior Software Engineer I, Backend
- USA Only
- 0 applicants (0%)
Senior Software Engineer I, Backend (Remote)
South San Francisco, CA
This position is open to remote within the US or onsite at our headquarters in South San Francisco.
Why join Freenome?
Freenome is a high-growth biotech company on a mission since 2014 to create tools that empower everyone to prevent, detect, and treat their disease.
To achieve this mission, Freenome is developing next-generation blood tests to detect cancer in its earliest, most treatable stages using our multiomics platform and machine learning techniques. Our first blood test will detect early-stage colorectal cancer and advanced adenomas.
To fight the war on cancer, Freenome has raised more than $1.1B from leading investors including a16z, GV (formerly Google Ventures), T. Rowe Price, BainCapital, Perceptive Advisors, RA Capital Management, Roche, Kaiser Permanente Ventures, and the American Cancer Society’s BrightEdge Ventures.
Are you ready for the fight? A Freenomer’ is a mission-driven employee who is fueled by the opportunity to make a positive impact on patients’ lives, who thrive in a culture of respect and cross collaboration, and whose work makes a significant impact on the company and their career. Freenomers are determined, patient-centric, and outcomes-driven. We build teams around divergent expertise, allowing us to solve problems and ascertain opportunities in unique ways. We are dedicated to advancing healthcare, one breakthrough at a time.
About this opportunity:
At Freenome, we are seeking a senior-level Backend Engineer to help develop software to combat cancer. The ideal candidate has the ability to thrive in an environment where collaboration, communication, and compromise are an expected part of the day-to-day work. You will work as part of an interdisciplinary team of engineers and scientists building end-to-end solutions for our ML team and clinical and R&D labs. As a member of a fast-growing team, you’ll contribute to the design, build and operation of robust scalable backend systems and pipelines to transform data into valuable insights for our scientists. You will collaborate actively with our world-class team of engineers, scientists, designers, and product managers.
You are passionate about software development best practices, and you will have a significant impact on the continued growth of a high profile technology organization that is changing the landscape on early cancer detection.
The role reports to our engineering management team.
What you’ll do:
- Design, develop, deploy and operate reliable, maintainable, scalable, and fault-tolerant backend services
- Collaborate with team members for code and design review
- Work with scientists, designers, product managers, and other engineers to solve complex problems in the face of lots of dynamism and uncertainty
- Take a mindful, transparent, and humane approach to your work and your interactions with others
- Guide and champion engineering hygiene and culture as a core part of the engineering backbone
- 3+ years of experience as a part of a software development team successfully shipping a software product
- BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, and/or work experience
- Experience with Python
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- A mindful, transparent, and humane approach to your work and your interactions with others
Nice to haves:
- Experience with Kubernetes, AWS or Google Cloud Platform
- Experience in Data Stores and Data Pipelines
- Experience in Observability and Alerting
- Experience in CI/CD Development processes
- Experience with R and RStudio
Benefits and additional information:
The US target range of our base salary/hourly rate for new hires is $131,750-$185,000. You will also be eligible to receive pre-IPO equity, cash bonuses, and a full range of medical, financial, and other benefits dependent on the position offered. Please note that individual total compensation for this position will be determined at the Company’s sole discretion and may vary based on several factors, including but not limited to, location, skill level, years and depth of relevant experience, and education. We invite you to check out our career page @ https://careers.freenome.com/ for additional company information.
Freenome is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. Freenome does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.
Applicants have rights under Federal Employment Laws.
- Family & Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO)
- Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA)