Senior Software Engineer, Full Stack
- USA Only
Senior Software Engineer, Full Stack
Senior Software Engineer, Networking Now, more than ever, the Toast team is committed to our customers. We’re taking steps to help restaurants navigate these unprecedented times with technology, resources, and community. Our focus is on building the restaurant platform that helps restaurants adapt, take control, and get back to what they do best: building the businesses they love. And because our technology is purpose-built for restaurants, by restaurant people, restaurants can trust that we’ll deliver on their needs for today while investing in experiences that will power their restaurant of the future.
Every day, many thousands of servers, hosts, and chefs use Toast POS (Point of Sale) to serve millions of guests in their restaurants. To make our restaurants successful, we need to develop products that install painlessly, work together seamlessly, and quickly guide restaurant staff and Toast team members to resolve any problems that occur.
The Device Experience team (DEX) sits at the intersection of hardware and software and builds cloud and device software that creates a frictionless experience for customers. Starting from the first time a device is provisioned until its end-of-life, the team takes a system-oriented approach crafting solutions that take software, hardware, networking, user experience, people and processes into account to provide the best results for our users.
We are seeking a Senior Software Engineer for this team. If you are an Engineer who collaborates well with teams within the organization, can think big, and are passionate about building software systems used to manage hardware devices with high focus on quality, this position is for you!
About this roll * (Responsibilities)
- Design, build, test, and deliver a cloud based system to manage and secure devices used to operate Toast restaurants. Examples of such devices are network routers, WiFi access points, receipt printers, and POS (Point of Sale) devices.
- Collaborate with Product Management, Hardware, QA and other Software teams on the product roadmap and requirements to build a long term vision for Toast.
- Create technical requirements and detailed designs of the software system being developed.
- Develop microservices in Java or Kotlin that serve as the engine to manage Toast devices in use by customers.
- Develop rich single page applications (SPA) using the React framework, that serve as the user interface for end users to configure, secure and monitor Toast hardware.
- Lead effort estimation sessions and use sound judgment to enable planning of projects.
- Diagnose performance bottlenecks and implement optimizations.
- Make solid technical decisions keeping software quality, security, and maintainability in mind.
- Help set the standard for software quality by adopting modern software test frameworks and practices in day to day development.
Do you have the right ingredients*? (Requirements)
- 5+ years of full stack software development experience.
- Proficient in a modern object-oriented programming language such as Java.
- Passionate about building great software.
- An interest and commitment to continuous learning.
- Passionate about solving large scale problems and building great software for customers.
- Technical experience on multi-person projects.
Bonus ingredients* (preferred skills)
- Experience developing cloud based services to manage network devices using published API endpoints from network hardware vendors.
- Experience with the React framework to build frontend applications.
- Understanding of Virtual LAN, network segregation, firewall and related networking concepts.
- Experience writing scripts in python.
More on our tech stack:
Our backend services follow a microservice architecture written using Java and Kotlin on DropWizard while the front end is React; we use AWS extensively, ranging from S3 to RDS to DynamoDB to Lambda. We have our own platform for dealing with service elevations and robust load balancing. We store data in PostgreSQL databases or DynamoDB tables depending on use case, and utilize Apache Spark for large scale data workloads including query and batch processing. Apache Pulsar and Camel are used extensively in our integration transaction workflow processing.
Our Spread of Total Rewards
- Unlimited Vacation
- Sabbatical opportunity after five years
- Professional Development Reimbursement Program
- Commitment to Employee Wellness through resources such as a quarterly Wellness Stipend
- Various peer and company recognition programs
- 401(k) and matching
- Medical, Dental, & Vision Coverage
- Mental Health Benefits
- Subsidized backup childcare
*Bread puns encouraged but not required
We are Toasters
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is Baked into our Recipe for Success.
At Toast our employees are our secret ingredient. When they are powered to succeed, Toast succeeds.
The restaurant industry is one of the most diverse industries. We embrace and are excited by this diversity, believing that only through authenticity, inclusivity, high standards of respect and trust, and leading with humility will we be able to achieve our goals.
Baking inclusive principles into our company and diversity into our design provides equitable opportunities for all and enhances our ability to be first in class in all aspects of our industry.
Bready* to make a change? Apply today!
As part of our commitment to the health and safety of our employees and their families, all individuals entering our US workspaces are required to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 unless they have an approved medical or religious accommodation.