Senior Software Developer
Who are we?
We are The Motley Fool, a purpose-driven financial information and services firm with nearly 30 years of experience focused on making the world smarter, happier, and richer. But what does that even mean?! It means we’re helping Fools (always with a capital “F”) demystify the world of finance, beat the stock market, and achieve personal wealth and happiness through our products and services.
The Motley Fool is firmly committed to diversity, inclusion, and equity. We are a motley group of overachievers that have built a culture of trust founded on Foolishness, fun, and a commitment to making the world smarter, happier and richer. However you identify or whatever winding road has led you to us, please don't hesitate to apply if the description above leaves you thinking, "Hey! I could do that!"
*This job is available for remote work in the following states: California, Colorado, Washington DC, Louisiana,Massachusetts, Maryland, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina,Tennessee, Virginia, Wisconsin (Physical locations are in Alexandria, VA and in Denver, CO)
What does this team do?
At the Motley Fool we’ve got a lot to say and a lot of people listening; that means a LOT of messaging! The heart of all that communication to both members and prospects is email. Email is one of the most important elements of our core business and is utilized daily for millions of messages! On this team, you’ll help us scale the way we do messaging as we march toward our goals. Come join us on our mission to break down barriers and bring financial literacy to all!
What would you do in this role?
As a Senior Software Developer , you’ll be working on a fast paced team responsible for the code that powers our ultimate goal of helping people invest their hard-earned cash more effectively and profitably. Successful Fools have well-formed opinions (stemming from their broad experience) and the ability to jump right into code independently.
But what does this roleactually
- Collaborate with other team members to produce quality code
- Work with other developers and stakeholders to solve not only hard technical problems, but also challenging process roadblocks
- Roll-up your sleeves and dig into sometimes legacy code to battle bugs
- Brainstorm ideas for helping scale our architecture as our audience grows
We’d love to work with you if:
- You solve problems: You spot issues and inefficiencies from a mile away and aren’t afraid to suggest solutions and then dive in to implement them. You know when to seek input from others and are constantly looking for ways to improve our code, processes, and people.
- You pay attention to detail: Missed details erode accountability, and that hurts when customers are trusting us to provide the analysis and tools they use to make financial decisions! You actively pull in other team members to review your code and understand the value of testing when necessary.
- You’re curious and love to learn: Whether it’s the latest technology, how the Foolish business operates, or investing; you have an insatiable appetite for knowledge. And you love to share with your fellow Fools – dropping links in Slack is like breathing for you.
- You take pride in your work: You want to ensure that every customer has a great experience with The Motley Fool because of what you build.
- You love to have fun: You see your job as an opportunity to express your creativity and collaborate with others!
What do you need to apply?
- Extensive experience working with .NET, C# and SQL Server.
- Strong track record of building relationships with stakeholders and business partners to ensure their needs are represented in the finished work.
- Ability to debug at all levels of the stack.
- Understanding of foundational web technologies & standards.
- Availability for production support.
- Experience with Vue, React, TypeScript, Python or Django are a plus.
If you think you have what it takes to join our band of merry Fools, please send us your ultra-impressive resume and Foolishly written cover letter. We’re ready to be wowed!
The Motley Fool has been twice named Glassdoor’s #1 Best Small Business to work for in the U.S., named to Inc.’s Best Workplaces of 2020, named one of BuiltIn’s Best Places to Work in Colorado, and we’re a perennial favorite on Washingtonian’s list of Best Places to Work year after year. Our targeted cash compensation for this role is between $120,000 and $155,000, which does not include any potential equity offerings. Below you’ll see a few of our perks, but check out this site for the complete list:
- No “vacation policy” (not to be confused with a “No vacation” policy)
- Paid maternity, paternity, and pet-ernity leave
- $1,000 to invest when you start
- Super low premiums for medical, dental and vision coverage
- Comprehensive compensation package, including company equity
Please note, no sponsorship is available for this position.