Senior Ruby on Rails Engineer
- North America
Virtasant is a global cloud services provider with industry-leading technology, capabilities, and people. We've been working in the cloud, testing the limits of its capabilities, since the start. To do this, we've built one of the world's largest fully remote organizations. We transform, build, and optimize products on the cloud every day, helping companies make the most of the cloud's native capabilities.
Do you dream of having an ambitious, high-impact role that has the potential to change entire industries? Do you want to work with like-minded people from all over the world? Do you see technology challenges as opportunities to add value and shape the future of the digital landscape? Join us and let's get the cloud revolution started!
This is a remote position, however, for this role we only consider candidates in the US-Timezones, including Latin America.
About the client
This position involves direct cooperation with one of Virtasant’s clients, on a mission to create a network that connects millions of companies and makes billing and payments easy for buyers and sellers. This position is slated for a 6-month contract, however, it can easily turn out into a long-term position, based on your performance.
The client has a team of 200+ professionals organized around pods, each including a Product Manager, engineers, QA, etc., and responsible for a collection of products and features, with others focusing on architecture, integrations, scalability, etc.
About your work
We’re looking for someone who can be hands-on designing and developing high- quality state-of-the-art software with a smart, collaborative team.
- You’ll design, develop, and test product features that meet business and technical requirements on time and on budget.
- Once comfortable with the stack and infrastructure, shift gears to support planning, scoping, design, and implementation of new features.
- That means estimating methodically based on iterative learning (setting realistic deadlines that drive effort but also good work habits).
- Triage and correct performance and/or data integrity concerns by reviewing and evaluating code, data patches, system logs, and process/memory/disk consumption utilization.
- Collaborate with product analysts, customer care, DevOps, and other engineers on features and support cases, and as you continue to develop, support technical decision making, leading and supporting work that affects more and more complex systems and critical areas of our application
- Critical R&D to help us continue to design for scale and reliability as we grow (and we’re growing)
- And grow! Both yourself and support the growth of others, spurring meaningful discussions around complex and technical issues and contribute to our high-performing delivery culture.
What you’ll bring to the team:
- You’ve got a background in computer science, engineering, and/or mathematics with +5 years of experience in software engineering under your belt. Also having written software in an agile test-driven culture that has shipped to market.
- You’ve got a strong knowledge of and practice in a variety of technology spanning, algorithms/data-structures, languages (e.g. Ruby, React.js, SQL), and benchmarking tools/techniques.
- You’re personable and approachable – after all, working across cross-functional teams, people will be looking to you for your expertise
- But you’re able to work independently, heads-down at times, so a strong sense of ownership and accountability is key.
- You don’t shy away from detective work and problem-solving (even when the answer isn’t obvious); finding solutions to problems excites you and you’re comfortable with the unknown and ambiguous.
- You’re analytical and able to look at situations from multiple vantage points to make data-driven decisions and solve real problems.
- You’re able to deliver communications that are clear, concise, and effective, both written and verbal to get your ideas across and get buy-in if needed.
- If you’ve got experience in the Payments Industry and/or PCI/DSS, consider that a strong asset.