Senior Engineering Manager
- USA Only
The Company Youll Join
At Extracker we make the construction industry more efficient by using technology to better communicate project costs between companies.
Every day thousands of pounds of paper and hundreds of personnel hours are consumed to record and communicate extra work completed on construction job sites around the world.
These pieces of paper can take days or weeks to reach the office and from there need to be scanned, manually transcribed, and tediously recorded into spreadsheets, that is, if they arent lost or damaged first.
In an industry with constant change and thin margins, this results in a massive loss of valuable time and money for hard working contractors.
Extracker creates tools to help contractors dramatically increase the organization and efficiency of this system, called change order communication, by intelligently digitizing this age-old paper process. This leads to an increase in profits, more successful contractor to customer relationships, more transparency into a projects true cost, and less wasted paper!
Our offices are currently located in the Lafayette, CA with team members working in San Francisco, Truckee, and San Ramon, California and we are also open to remote candidates.
Just as TurboTax did for tax documents and Expensify did for receipts and expense reports, Extracker is doing for change order communication and log management by building first-of-its-kind, category defining software that is revolutionizing the commercial construction industry.
As an early senior leading member of the team you will have an exceptional level of impact on the development and iteration of our product as well as the workplace culture and team itself.
This is your chance to join a team that is bringing game-changing, modern web tools and dynamic financial analysis systems to a stagnant, static, pen and paper part of the commercial construction industry.
We are looking for a hands-on engineering leader who is passionate about building diverse teams, a supportive culture and a best-in-class engineering org and product development process. You will help coordinate with product. Grow and manage our engineering team and mentor and develop junior employees. Youll work in collaboration and with support from our VP of Engineering who will be focused on system design and infrastructure.
The Problems You'll Solve:
As an engineering leader at Extracker, you will play a critical role in managing and rebalancing engineer workloads, making sure documentation is clear, work estimates are accurate and timely, liasoning with our product manager, and mentor and model software development best practices and processes. You will also be heavily involved in hiring and building an inclusive, best-in-class engineering capacity and culture at Extracker.
Here are some of the problems youll solve:
- People: Extracker has a small and eager team today. Were growing, and that means hiring. You will help develop and mentor existing talent and work with the VP of Product, VP of Engineering, and CEO to discover, interview, and recruit more great team members and build them up into the next all star players.
- Assess technical risk: Your experience will be a major factor in empowering your team to isolate, and reduce, technical risk. You will fill blind spots for your engineers, helping form the critical bridge between business, product, and engineering. You will be supported by the VP of Engineering.
- Accurate Communication: You will serve as the key link between our engineers and other key stakeholders in the company, your ability to clearly and concisely collaborate with product, and then translate product requirements into effective and accurate technical direction, estimates and tickets is paramount.
- Drive accountability: You will work closely with the VP of Product and key stakeholders to better understand the needs of the business, and with your team to create realistic expectations for project success.
- Establish best practices: Engineering managers are the last line of defense for quality control, best practices and effective design strategies. Helping your team, and the growing eng org, navigate these challenges is core to the problem space for managers.
- Improve performance: Your team is a reflection of you, your values, and your support. Your team will need regular mentorship, advice and feedback to operate effectively. Contributing to this space along with your fellow leadership, is part of effective management at Extracker.
Some of the product related problems youll also help think about and solve:
- Scaling a system to support tens of thousands of users and millions of events.
- Coming up with creative solutions for caching and asset management.
- Structuring data to be used efficiently by users and for their business intelligence needs.
- How to provide a responsive, high-performance front-end user experience with increasing quantities of backend data.
- How to combine rapid release of features with a commitment to our uptime SLAs and functionality of our platform.
- How Extracker, a category defining platform, can establish ourselves technologically as the industry gold standard for digital Time and Material Tag documents and Change Order Request communications
- The keys to hire and build the engineering org, influence the culture of your company, and define and refine our development and product processes.
- Ample opportunities to advance the careers of yourself, colleagues, and mentees in a rapidly growing organization.
- The ability to make immediate impact with a product that already has an established product market fit and a healthy and growing user base.
- First hand exposure to the new emerging sector at the intersection of fin-tech and construction technology.
- Opportunity for significant product ownership and influence.
- Rapid feedback on your contribution from customers through close working relationships with customer success, sales and executive leadership.
Competitive market-rate salary for a Series A company.
Subsidized healthcare, vision, and dental.
Nice to have experience:
- Programmatic PDF document authoring/conversion/merging
- Conjur (or other RBAC auth systems and concepts)
- GetStream.io implementation
- Big data, data warehousing, BigQuery, etc.
- Pub/sub systems
- Familiarity with Snowplow and/or event tracking systems
- DevOps (particularly CI/CD tools, Kubernetes, Docker, GitHub actions, GCP CloudBuild)
- Familiarity with SDLC concepts and working in an environment that meets SOC 2 Type II requirements, GDPR, CCPA, etc.