Senior Backend Engineer
- 5 applicants (16%)
Senior Backend Engineer (Fully Remote)
The last two decades have seen an explosion in new payment services – from digital wallets, mobile payments, and open banking, to Buy Now Pay Later and crypto. Great for consumers! But, incredibly complex for merchants and developers. That’s where Primer comes in.
Primer is the world’s first automation platform for payments. With Primer, merchants and developers have all the underlying infrastructure and “lego blocks” they need to build the best buying experiences for their customers. Any developer can build a connection on Primer; merchants then simply ‘click and connect’ to the services they need to build their desired payment flows within their Primer dashboard.
Since starting in January 2020, we’ve raised funding from top tier investors including Accel, Balderton and Iconiq. Our all-star team from across the world of payments and fintech includes ex Braintree-PayPal, Stripe, Checkout, Tink, Recurly, TrueLayer, Paddle, Plaid, Kount and more – come and join us!
We’re looking for great, product-minded engineers to create the best possible developer experience for accepting payments online. You’ll be creating next generation payments infrastructure, building out workflows functionality, third party connections, and merchant facing APIs. We work with Python and Kubernetes on AWS, but hire agnostically.
What will the role involve?
- Designing and implementing highly secure, fault tolerant APIs
- Creating our next generation developer framework and workflows, allowing both merchants and third-parties to integrate as seamlessly as possible
- Working in close collaboration with infrastructure and frontend teams
- Taking ownership of key technology decisions, building for scale and optimising for output
- Conducting code reviews and continuously look at ways of improving our ways of working
- Developing deep payments expertise, always looking for ways to optimise our merchant developer experience
- Creating detailed internal documentation for the projects you work on
What are we looking for?
- Proven experience building high performance, distributed systems
- Experience of driving and using modern development practices such as BDD and TDD
- In-depth understanding of the full SDLC
- Experience contributing to system design/architecture improvements
- Highly motivated self-starter who values autonomy and getting things done
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment
The way we work is different at Primer
Our culture is about removing the roadblocks to doing your best work. We focus on taking initiative, letting the best ideas win, and valuing output over anything else.
Underpinning all of this is our ‘trust by default’. You’ll work remotely, wherever works best for you, have unlimited coworking access, unlimited time off, no company spending approvals, regular whole company retreats, team workations, and open access to people across the company.
We find the best thinking and work come from removing limiting assumptions. So, one of our favourite approaches to solving problems is simply: If anything is possible, then what will you do?
- 100% remote working – work from anywhere you like, however you like
- Competitive share options
- Uncapped holiday, with 25 days minimum to be taken
- Co-working space access
- Team socials – quarterly workations, annual company retreats and virtual events
- Laptop, screens and accessories of your choosing!
- Additional £500 towards your home office setup
- Unlimited learning budget
- Medical insurance via SafetyWings
- Location-specific benefits – pension, 401k, health insurance etc.
Primer provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, colour, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by law.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.