Senior Backend Engineer
- Europe Only
- 1 applicant (6%)
Time zones: ART (UTC -3) UTC -2 GMT (UTC +0) CET (UTC +1) EET (UTC +2) MSK (UTC +3) AST (UTC -4) IST (UTC +5:30) GST (UTC +4)
Merchstack is looking for an experienced backend engineer to help architect, build, and evolve our SaaS product on the backend. We’re seeking engineers who think about UI/UX in terms of systems, reuse, flexibility, and performance.
To succeed in this role, you will need a breadth of experience working in modelling data structures for data-rich applications, a passion for object- oriented design patterns and an unparalleled ability to think about individual work items, holistically across the design of the entire application.
We are looking for candidates in the UK/EU, India or Africa. All candidates MUST be able to overlap most of your day with leadership in the UK.
Salary Range: $60 - $80k
What you’ll do
- Design and implement new GraphQL queries and mutations to either meet customer demand or UI/UX requirements.
- Contribute to the overall stability and performance of our application.
- Optimize our application for maximum speed and scalability.
- Build new data providers for Merchstack in the form of composable plugins.
- Take ownership of dependencies in our code base i.e. ensuring that we are reasonably patched.
- Work with the VP of Engineering to plan out new prospective pieces of work ahead of time, such as architectural design and infrastructure requirements.
- Work with DevOps / DBA functions to ensure that new and existing features are being backed and observed by appropriate hardware/infrastructure.
- Typescript, NestJS
- SQL / TypeORM
- Apollo GraphQL
- AWS / Elastic Kubernetes Service
What we look for
- 4+ years building object-oriented data-driven applications at scale.
- Confident in leveraging relational data sources at scale, this includes but is not limited to a deep understanding of data cardinality, data structures and efficient client-side memory management for large datasets and fast-moving dimensions.
- Experience leveraging IoC containers for dependency injection, with a full understanding of the 3 main dependency injection lifecycles.
- Advanced Typescript knowledge and desire to use more advanced Typescript concepts to reduce boiler-plate.
- Will not write O(n!) code.
- Good understanding of Internet protocols: TCP/IP, HTTP, WebSocket and demonstratable web performance tuning skills
- Knowledge of the software development lifecycle (version control, tooling, testing, etc.)
- An active Github account, showcasing your own projects
- Deep experience leveraging ORMs for data modelling and data access concerns. Should understand both the pros and cons of using an ORM vs. raw queries.
- Has worked with one or all of the following: NestJS, TypeORM, Apollo GraphQL
- Any experience in another exclusively OOP C-like language, for instance: C# or Java.
- Functional understanding of service-based architecture.
- Packaging container-based applications with an emphasis on small footprints.
- You are detail-oriented and focus on delivering seamless, reliable experiences.
- You care about code quality and are committed to writing strongly typed, well-tested code.
- You are intrinsically motivated, able to manage your time, and enjoy working with a distributed team across the globe.
- You believe in asking for help and helping others when they ask, never throwing a problem over the wall
- You approach problems with curiosity, creativity, and flexibility.
- You strive to foster relationships in order to ensure healthy debate.
- You show gratitude and give back.
Merchstack partners with companies on their journey to build, launch, and scale modern eCommerce stores. We work with market-leading technologies and our own internal products to help our customers achieve ambitious digital experiences and unlock new growth opportunities. We are a remote-only company with employees all over the world, including the Philippines, the United States, Canada, Spain, and the United Kingdom. We are a small team with big ambitions and value people who are driven towards delivery and thrive on autonomy and trust.