Senior Backend Engineer
About the role
As komoot’s next Senior Backend Engineer, you join a highly-motivated team of tech enthusiasts. We are focused on impact, that’s why we love to find simple and smart solutions to complex problems, and embrace modern technologies to face our tough challenges. Join us if you live and love infrastructure as code, automating workflows, x10 scaling challenges and building resilient, self-healing micro-services.
What you will do
- Implement new product features closely with client developers, designers, copy writers, quality assurance, data scientists and product managers
- Keep our system state-of-the-art and resilient for our fast growing traffic
- Develop end-to-end solutions including concept, road map planning, implementation, testing, deployment and monitoring
- Build new micro-services with Kotlin and AWS, and improve existing ones
- Work on high-traffic online services (like REST APIs) and offline workers for data crunching
Why you will love it
- You’ll work on a global product that inspires millions of users to enjoy the great outdoors
- Positively impact millions of users directly with your onboarding project
- Due to the nature of our data and our scale, you will face interesting challenges that take innovative, non-standard solutions
- We believe good ideas count more than titles
- You’ll take ownership over your projects from day one
- Small overhead: you will work in a small and effective cross-functional team
- You’ll work together with enthusiastic engineers, hikers and cyclists.
- We let you work from wherever you want, be it a beach, the mountains, your house, co - working location of your choice (covered by us) or anywhere else that lies in any time zone situated between UTC-1 and UTC+3
- You’ll travel with our team to amazing outdoor places several times a year (when safe) to exchange ideas, learnings and go for hikes and rides. Check out this playlist to find out more about how we stay close while being remote. (https://bit.ly/39xtIrn)
You will be successful in this position if you
- Are highly self-driven, responsible and keen to learn and improve
- Have 3+ years of professional experience in developing distributed and resilient backend APIs
- Have 3+ years of professional experience with Kotlin, Java or Scala
- You have been responsible for configuring and running applications in production on AWS, Google Cloud, Microsoft Azure or Kubernetes
- Have experience with Infrastructure as Code, continuous integration & deployment and monitoring
- Enjoy paying attention to details and care about solid solutions
- Are a great communicator in a diverse team
Sound like you?
We would love to hear from you! Please send us the following:
- Your CV in English highlighting your most relevant experience
- A write-up explaining who you are and why you are interested in working at komoot
- Feel free to send us something that shows us a little more about what you’re interested in, be it your account on GitHub, Twitter, Instagram, Medium or your blog.
Curious to find out more about our recruitment process?
- Find out more info here: https://www.komoot.com/jobs-process
- At komoot we want to make great adventures accessible to everyone. We support diversity and inclusivity within the outdoors and welcome all prospective applicants.
- We have a rolling recruitment process. If this role is online it means it’s still open. We’re accepting applications and actively looking for the perfect candidate. Is it you?
- Dedicated time and budget to spend on classes, events, conferences, boot camps, or books for your curiosity and personal development, you decide!
- Blinkist subscription and discounts with outdoor brands like Patagonia and Wahoo
- Flexible working hours and locations
- 3 all- expenses paid Company gatherings per year
- The latest devices and equipment
- And more!