Senior Backend Engineer
- USA Only
Senior Backend Engineer (Remote- Anywhere in US)
Do you love stories and believe that mental wellness should be a priority for everyone?
We do. This is why we’re building Fable, a social platform for stories. We’ve started with books and plan to expand into stories that you can listen to or watch with friends.
We are building Fable because stress, anxiety, depression, social isolation are on the rise affecting people globally, across all age and income levels – and we can help. The World Economic Forum projects that mental health disorders will cost a staggering loss in economic output of $16.3 trillion between 2011 and 2030. Stories promote empathy, social perception, emotional intelligence, and other cognitive abilities that can lead to better mental health. Just 30 minutes of reading every day can improve our mental wellbeing. Fable helps people make reading a fun and healthy daily habit.
WHAT WE ARE BUILDING
Fable puts the omnipresent mobile screen in service of digital nutrition.
Fable makes it easy for people to discover, join and build communities based on their interest graph. Fable members connect with others who have similar interests and read together, sharing highlights, notes, and comments. We curate the vast body of knowledge that surrounds every book and surface the most interesting bits to make reading much more interactive and fun.
Well-read experts and tastemakers select great books that are featured inside “Fable Folios.” A Fable Folio is a selection of exceptional stories and book recommendations around a particular topic. New Folios are released weekly and offer something for everyone, whether they’re seeking to be entertained, informed, or challenged.
Every day, Fable helps members set and reach their reading goals to reap the wellness benefits of reading. Our communities can set their own book club milestones to pace themselves as they and fill the micro-moments in their lives with stories.
Sr. Backend Engineer
We’re looking for a Sr. Backend Engineer with a deep technical ability to come be part of our wonderful story. You will work closely with our product and editorial teams to understand, build simple solutions to complex problems, and deliver delightful experiences to all our users.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
- Create the next generation social platform centered around stories
- Design, build, and maintain our internal platform and APIs
- Unit-test code for robustness, including edge cases, usability, and general reliability
- Work on bug fixing and improving application performance
SKILLS YOU WILL NEED
- Expert-level knowledge of developing and maintaining web applications as well as API design
- Deep understanding of software engineering fundamentals
- 3+ years of experience with Python, Django, and Postgres
- Experience deploying and maintaining scalable cloud infrastructure, container orchestration and infrastructure-as-code
- Experience with Docker for deployment and testing/CI
- Keen on quality unit tests, code coverage and readability
- Experience with devops, monitoring, and logging: using all the tools available to reduce points of failure, understand and fix issues
- Experience with one of GCP/AWS/Azure
- Passionate about user experience
- Comfortable in an early-stage start-up environment and wearing many hats
- For sharing examples of how you improved growth and retention
- Telling us your 3 favorite books and why you love them
YOUR TEAM AT FABLE
At Fable, you’ll join a passionate, high-performing and empathetic team of people who love stories. We are proud to work on a purpose driven product with a mission of improving mental wellness through stories. We are a tech company with the soul of an artist. We are an early-stage start-up and as such a constant work in progress, to borrow from Douglas Adams, “Don’t Panic”. We have no time for bureaucracy and so we want leaders, not spectators. We listen, understand, and consider before we judge.
WHY WORK AT FABLE
This is a unique opportunity if you are looking to join a small team making a big impact, and work on a fast-growing product while having fun along the way.
- Competitive salary and stock options
- Comprehensive health and dental plans
- Flexible vacation days
- Open and transparent culture
WANT TO LEARN MORE ABOUT FABLE?
- Check out our Founder’s message, meet our team and read our principles to make sure we are right for you
- Read more about Fable in Fortune and Marie Claire
- Listen to our Founder talk about mental wellness and stories
FABLE. Stories for everyone.
Top 50 seed companies to work for 2021
We are an equal opportunity employer and embrace diversity at our company. We do not discriminate by race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We are a gender-balanced team committed to diversity and an inclusive environment.