Senior Backend Engineer
- 6 applicants (10%)
Senior Backend Engineer – Fully Remote
ENGINEERING FULLY REMOTE
We set up in 2018 to make EV charging simple, green and low cost for drivers, to encourage EV adoption and reduce carbon emissions from transport. Core to our platform is a proprietary smart-charging algorithm, dynamically aligning charging with intermittent low-carbon electricity, reducing carbon emissions from grid electricity by as much as 70%. We’ve so far secured over 13 million USD in funding, have over 100k drivers using our app, and were named ‘Best Energy Startup in the World’ when we won the Free Electrons programme.
To achieve all of this, we gathered a great team bringing expertise from their previous roles at National Grid, Bulb, BBOX, Powervault, BCG, Starling, and more. We’re now over 70 people working fully remotely across Europe and North America, and pride ourselves on our inclusive and collaborative culture.
We’re aiming to have over a million drivers using our product, and we’re looking for even more talented and passionate folk to join our mission.
We’re hiring across multiple teams – our tech stack across all includes Python, Django, PSQL, AWS, CloudFormation and Ansible. We focus on developing high quality code, following a common set of engineering principles, and are customer-focused in everything we do.
Our Charger team work with manufacturer companies around the world to integrate chargers with our platform, creating custom-solutions and identifying commonalities. Our Grid team deliver automated, reliable and scalable demand side response services for network system operators and utilities, enhancing our smart charging technology and third-party API integrations. The team provide a global automotive company with a customised version of our application and services, a role requiring tenacity as well as technical excellence. Alternatively, you might join our Driver team, focusing on the experience of our drivers – designing and developing new features, and making performance and reliability improvements.
What are we looking for?
- Commercial experience with Python 3 (we’re on 3.10 currently)
- Ideally, commercial experience with Django (we’re on 4)
- An excellent understanding of relational databases (we use PSQL)
- An excellent understanding of APIs
- Understanding of oAuth and identity management
- Great communication skills, written and verbal, as you’ll often be interacting with our client’s teams
- Confidence digging into details of challenging problems, with an analytical and investigative mind
- Stewardship – a want to make improvements for the long-term and take ownership of problems
- Belief in the ev.energy mission and enthusiasm for driving us towards it
How will we support you?
- Remote working, investing in your home office setup or a co-working location convenient for you
- Access to conferences, meet-ups and training
- A top of the range Macbook Pro and all you need to do your best work
- A structured career progression framework and advancement opportunities
- Health insurance
- Paid parental leave
- Generous equity, with options to earn more shares as you progress
- Quarterly team meet-ups, to collaborate and have fun in person!
If you don’t have all of the requirements, but you’re really interested in what we’re doing, please apply anyway! We’d love to hear from you and may be able to tailor the role around your abilities and experience. We value applicants regardless of their background or years of experience.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We are transparent about salaries internally – this role pays 66,000 – 79,000 GBP (or local currency equivalent) per year, depending on experience, plus generous equity options and other benefits.