Senior Back End Developer
- North America
- 10 applicants (100%)
Title: Senior Back-End Developer
Location: United States
- Remote OK
About Bitfocus, Inc.
Founded in 2003, Bitfocus, Inc. is changing the way communities nationwide integrate software, systems, data, and policy to innovate and strengthen the nation’s social safety net. We develop software and administer data systems that affect and change lives, connecting our most vulnerable populations to the most effective resources available in their communities. Our products empower organizations and communities to better leverage their resources, helping them to become data-driven in their efforts in all areas of health, human, and social services.
Our diverse and inclusive culture has played a key role in our success at Bitfocus. Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or disability.
Bitfocus is a fully remote organization; this will be a work a work-from- home position.
Our Core Values:
- People First. Always.
- Live in the WOW
- Elevate our Mission
- Start with Yes
- Take Detours
- Practice Humility
- Paint with Numbers
- Speak the truth in kindness
- Grow Together
- Unite in Excellence
About Our Development Team
Our Engineering team’s mission is to promote a data-driven decision-making culture to solve homelessness. We do this by combining a team of experts in development, analytics, database infrastructure, and integration with social services experience. From Feature Releases into Clarity Human Services, to development project initiatives, to system infrastructure and QA engineering, we play an integral role in the ongoing stability and enhancement of Clarity Human Services.
As a senior member of the Engineering Development Team, the Senior Back-End Developer will be charged with designing, building and migrating applications, software, and services on the AWS platform. ensuring solutions are designed for successful deployment throughout the development cycle, across all non- production and production environments. This person will evangelize and educate others on the value proposition of AWS as well and aid in creating world-class solutions built on AWS.
As a Senior Back-End Developer, You Will:
- Work with fellow Development Teams and Product Managers to ideate software solutions
- Lead and guide “big picture” holistic application architectural decisions
- Produce detailed technical specifications and documentation.
- Develop and deploy new modules and features to existing applications
- Adhere to and foster “security first” coding practices, design patterns and architectural designs for development
- Troubleshoot, test and maintain the core product software and databases interactivity to ensure strong optimization and functionality
- Contribute to all phases of the development lifecycle
- Follow industry best practices and compliance directives
- Work with collaborative offshore teams and third-party partners
- Lead / Mentor other developers
- Assist and participate in disaster recovery planning and testing
- Must have excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Innate drive to solve challenging and unique problems
- An analytical mind with great attention to detail.
You Will Love This Position If:
- Using modern, industry-standard technology, tools, and development practices appeals to you.
- You use creativity to build solutions the “the right way” so you can be proud of the work you accomplish.
- Learning new skills and approaches is exciting in order to keep the products evolving, as well as continuously growing your own skill sets.
- You thrive when working with a self-motivated, hard-working, and supportive team.
- You enjoy a management team that is easily approachable and frequently provides opportunities for employees to give feedback, make requests, or have an open discussion.
Required Experience that Drives Success in this Role:
- 5 or more years of software development experience in PHP, using Laravel and/or Yii frameworks
- Experience with back-end cloud-native languages a plus (e.g. Python, Node)
- Proven experience with SOA principles and developing scalable Microservice applications
- Experience with Git (GitLab) version control and standard branching strategies
- Experience working in an AWS Cloud environment is highly preferred.
- Experience with DevOps CI/CD deployment practices using Jenkins, Buddy, AWS Code Deploy, etc.
- Proven experience of secure RESTFull API implementation
- Experience with databases/queries (e.g. MySQL, MariaDB), and web servers (e.g. Apache)
- Proven experience integrating with web services SOAP and REST using JSON and XML
- Experience working in an Agile environment.
- Experienced in developing test plans, test cases, baselines, and conducting end-to-end testing.
- Passion and a desire to learn new technologies and develop new bold ideas
- Work independently under minimal supervision
- Experience using Jira and Confluence
- Experience working in an environment covered by PCI, HIPAA or other high standards of security and privacy would be a bonus.
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Demonstrable experience in a similar role.
- Additional Knowledge and Experience:
- Experience with AWS AppSync / GraphQL
- Infrastructure as Code (e.g. AWS Cloud Formation, Terraform, etc.)
- Automated test technologies (e.g. Selenium, Buddy, etc.)
- Experience converting large PHP applications to serverless is a HUGE plus!
- A ‘can-do’, results-driven, attitude.
- Knowledge of HUD and federal partner funding policies and HMIS data standards.
- A desire to understand how our solutions drive value and improve the lives of our clients.
How Bitfocus Will Support You:
- Robust onboarding and training support
- A unique, friendly, and caring culture! Hear more from our employees on Glassdoor.
- Medical, dental, vision insurance
- Medical insurance covered at 100% for employees
- 401K Retirement Plan
- 12 weeks of fully paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Paid volunteer time off
- Bitfocus primarily uses Apple computers; all new employees receive either an iMac or MacBook Pro to use in their role at Bitfocus
- Opportunities for professional growth and development