Principal Software Engineer - Tools
ABOUT HAPPY MONEY
Happy Money® is building a happier and more equitable financial ecosystem that seamlessly blends psychology, technology, and a focus on happiness to help consumers go from borrower to saver, investor, and giver. The company provides a path toward improving financial well-being and securing greater happiness – beginning with paying off credit card debt – through its science-enabled, purpose-driven marketplace between mission-aligned capital and consumers.
Backed by leading investors including Anthemis Group, Tencent Holdings and CMFG Ventures, Happy Money has helped nearly 150,000 members pay off more than $2.7 billion in credit card debt since inception through its award-winning Payoff Loan™. Founded in 2009, Happy Money has a diverse employee base of over 350 people across the United States.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Happy Money is looking for Principal Engineer to join our Developer Productivity team. Our engineering team is evolving and our infrastructure is moving to a Cloud-Based solution. You will build tools to help us deliver our software to production with increased speed and quality. This team will focus on solving problems faced by engineering teams and optimize their process. We will be creating products and solutions that will add efficiencies to existing development practices. This is a great opportunity for someone with experience to come and make an impact.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Ultimately responsible for the quality of architecture and design of applications within the Engineering Productivity organization.
- Improve the overall development process by identifying gaps or inefficiencies in workflows and suggesting solutions.
- Streamline and simplify the flow of code from the engineer's fingertips to production deployment.
- Design and build advanced infrastructure enabling fast iteration.
- Partner with the manager and build a roadmap for the developer productivity team.
- Partner with the customer engineering managers and principal leads to identify obstacles and define improvements in the engineering processes, systems, and tools to support the developers.
- Develop and track key metrics for engineering performance, drive their improvement over time, and communicate their status.
- A natural leader: your “get stuff done” philosophy inspires and invigorates the team around you; you have a proven track record of mentoring junior engineers and influencing people and teams around you.
- 7+ proven experience owning application development from "end to end" as well as developing tools and solutions.
- Strong hands-on experience with at least one backend framework such as Java, Python, Golang, Ruby on Rails, etc.
- Passion for engineering quality (branching strategies, code reviews, testing methodologies, style guide adherence, documentation, etc.)
- Strong hands-on experience with at least one SQL variant, i.e. Postgres, MySQL, etc.
- Familiarity with software engineering practices including unit testing, code reviews, and design documentation.
- Ability to build tooling and/or services in one or more object-oriented programming languages.
- An interest in ideation and building internal products with other engineers as your customers
- Set up and administered common 3rd party and open source development tools
- Designed and optimized a toolchain other developers use to ship code.
- Must have strong written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment, and enjoyment of learning from and teaching other team new skills.
- BS degree in Computer Science or similar technical field of study or equivalent practical experience.
BONUS POINTS FOR
- Master’s Degree in Computer Science or similar technical field of study or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience with Docker and Kubernetes.
- Familiarity with deployment automation/configuration management viz. Terraform, Chef, CloudFormation.
- Experience with Salesforce.
Here at Happy Money, we live by our core values of Love, Trust, and Hustle and welcome all. Love is shown in how we develop meaningful relationships with everyone we interact with; whether it’s a member or your manager. Trust is shown through how we empower each other to come to work as our true selves and embrace our differences. Hustle is shown through how we fail fast and learn from our mistakes. No one is perfect, we’re all human; if this job description doesn’t exactly match your background, we encourage you to apply anyway!