Principal Software Engineer
- North America
Our team is growing! We’re looking for a Principal Software Engineer - Tech Lead (Java) to help take our web app and tech stack to the next level. We’re looking for a dynamic engineer who is no stranger to building well-designed, performant web applications that support complex business rules.
What You’ll Do
- Help solidify our web app that is undergoing a SAAS-first transformation using the Strangler pattern
- Drive front end architectural decisions (including simplifying the CRUD layer) to develop a maintainable and reliable code base that is efficiently deployable and maintainable in production (multi-tenant, CI/CD and easily debuggable via a log-first approach)
- Work closely with our Team Lead and Product leadership to identify our “North Star” and flesh out the technical backlog with a mindful approach to get us there
- Provide constructive feedback on pull requests to increase code quality
- Collaborate with other engineers to build shared services that can serve many applications and scale independently
- Enable our Product team to tap into valuable data sources and build incredible features for our growing customer base
- Present ideas to technical staff and help shape our technical landscape
- Ensure software developed adheres to best practice and quality standards through code and design reviews
Your First 90 Days
- By Day 30: With the support of our Principal Engineers and Vice President of Development, you will immerse yourself in our virtual onboarding program. Following this one-week immersive, you will join your scrum team and work with them to better understand our current product offerings. Further, you’ll be immersed into our ongoing initiative to wrap our existing application into a React wrapper and productize it.
- By Day 60: Along with user stories and product features, you will lead your scrum team to work on a backlog of technical infrastructure work identified in your First 30 Days. This includes the productization of React into the technical stack.
- By Day 90: You will play an integral role in delivering on our roadmap deliverables. You will help instill the discipline of effectively monitoring and creating work items and evaluating the strengths and weaknesses of the tech stack as well as create a path forward to improve it.
Who You Are
- 7+ years of full stack experience with Java/J2EE technologies
- 4+ years of experience with React, Angular or other frontend frameworks
- 2+ years experience leading (architecture) web or frontend application teams
- Proficiency with data modeling and database design, including strong SQL skills
- Strong experience with HTML, DHTML and working with multiple browsers
- Experience using Tomcat, IIS and XML
- Experience with Git
- Ability to flesh out user stories to be consumed by the rest of the team
- Ability to work full stack, with a keen eye for consuming APIs open UI frameworks
- Experience working within an Agile environment (e.g., Scrum, Kanban or ScrumBan)
- Ability to multitask and balance competing priorities, working with multiple stakeholders
- Bachelor’s in Computer Science
- Ability to collaborate with team members remotely
- Catalyst-mindset (i.e., the ability to tangibly see the future and influence the tech stack and other leads that you work with)
Team Lead vs. Tech Lead
- Team Lead: Leads a Scrum Team (who does what and when) along with the Product Manager, efficiently manages Scrum activities with the support of our Scrum Master and contributes to production-deliverables (code) at least 50% of the time.
- Tech Lead: Leads the tech stack and, along with our Team Lead, coordinates when technical items get done and put into production. Contributes to production-deliverables (code) at least 70% of the time.
- We are a Team. Employees, customers, and partners working together.
- We are Customer-Focused. Customers are the heart of everything we do.
- We are Driven. Seeking exceptional outcomes.
- We Own our Success. Every employee has a stake in our company.
- We do the right thing and have fun in the process.
Unanet is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants will be considered for positions without regard to race, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or any other consideration made unlawful by applicable federal, state or local laws.