Principal Software Engineer
- North America
Our team is looking for a Principal Software Engineer - Tech Lead (Angular) to help take our web application and tech stack to the next level. We're looking for a dynamic individual who is no stranger to building well-designed, performant and effective front end web applications that support complex business rules/flows.
What You’ll Do
- Help solidify our next gen web app that is deeply rooted in a SAAS-first Angular approach using the Strangler pattern to wrap the existing web app and refactor the most used areas into Angular
- Drive front end architectural decisions (including simplifying the CRUD layer) to develop a maintainable and reliable code base that is efficiently deployable and maintainable in production (multi-tenant, CI/CD and easily debuggable via a log-first approach)
- Work closely with our Team Lead and Development Manager to identify our “North Star” and then flesh out the technical backlog to get us there with a mindful approach
- Provide constructive feedback on pull requests to increase code quality
- Collaborate with other engineers to build shared services that can serve many applications and scale independently
- Enable our Product Team to tap into our valuable data sources and build incredible features for our customers
- Actively participate in all front end development projects and work together to build high quality solutions
- Present ideas to technical staff and help shape our technical landscape
- Ensure software developed adheres to best practice and quality standards through code and design reviews
Your First 90 Days
In Your First 30 Days
- You will participate in our 2-week immersive to understand our culture, our product and our tech stack - proctored by our Team Lead, Dev Manager, and Agile Coach. This immersive will focus on our effort to introduce Angular into our web application and how to leverage components from multiple other Angular apps we already have in production.
- You’ll work with our Web Team Lead and Tech Leads from other front end teams as well as our API/Platform team to understand our product architecture, standards and development tools.
- You’ll help execute on introducing two (2) new aspects of Angular in our current Angular tech stack by building proof of concepts and present the same to various technical stakeholders.
- You will create a loosely defined North Star with your Team lead and Development Manager and then present (in the form of a Jira backlog of Epics) a front end technical roadmap that takes scalability, testing and performance into account as well as a gap analysis of what can potentially be done even better.
- You’ll be responsible for taking on development items to get your hands in our current web stack (25% of your time)
In Your First60 Days
- As a Tech Lead, you’ll work with your team to create and help work on a backlog of technical infrastructure work that was identified in the First 30 Days, including the adoption of the newly identified tech for our Q1/Q2 2021 deliverables.
- In partnership with Product Management, you’ll co-create a backlog of work to systematically add new features from which the entire team can pull work items from.
In Your First 90 Days
- You will play an integral part in our UX revamp deliverables.
- You’ll help instill the discipline of effectively monitoring and creating work items from our SDLC process, including monitoring issues in our lower environments and help with issues in our production environments.
- You’ll continuously evolve and uplift our tech stack by continuing to progress our technical roadmap and future deliveries.
- You’ll help mentor and train other engineers on our front end framework.
- You will play a meaningful role in helping hire future members of our growing Product Team.
Who You Are
- You’ve lived and breathed multiple (3+) Angular applications in production across multiple (2+) companies and have the knowledge and battle scars to prove it
- You’ve taken on the daunting task of wrapping a legacy web app (Java, .Net, ColdFusion) in a modern framework and have it coexist and transform areas of that web app at least once
- You’re a passionate advocate of all things SPAs, from UX frameworks to deployment frameworks
- You like to lead tech stacks, not people (i.e., you want autonomy, but also understand and respect the responsibility and discipline needed to be successful)
More About You
- 7+ years experience developing web apps
- 4+ years of Angular (2 or higher)
- 2+ years experience technically leading web or front end application teams
- 2+ years experience in non-front-end technologies (e.g., Java, .Net, Node)
- Ability to flesh out user stories to be consumed by the rest of the team
- Ability to work as a contributing team member with a keen eye for enhancing tech stacks
- Experience working in an Agile environment (Scrum, Kanban)
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to collaborate with team members remotely
- Catalyst-mindset (i.e., the ability to tangibly see the future and influence the tech stack and other leads that you work with)
- JS Unit Testing
- Bachelor’s in Computer Science
Team Lead vs. Tech Lead
- Team Lead: Leads the Scrum Team (who does what and when) along with the Product Manager, efficiently manages Scrum activities with the support of our Scrum Master and contributes to production-deliverables (code) at least 50% of the time.
- Tech Lead: Leads the tech stack and, along with our Team Lead, coordinates when technical items get done and put into production. Contributes to production-deliverables (code) at least 70% of the time.
- We are a Team. Employees, customers, and partners working together.
- We are Customer-Focused. Customers are the heart of everything we do.
- We are Driven. Seeking exceptional outcomes.
- We Own our Success. Every employee has a stake in our company.
- We do the right thing and have fun in the process.
Unanet is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants will be considered for positions without regard to race, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or any other consideration made unlawful by applicable federal, state or local laws.