Punchbowl News is a news content company founded by Anna Palmer, Jake Sherman, John Bresnahan and Rachel Schindler focused on power, people and politics in Washington. We are looking for a Lead Engineer to join our growing team.
Punchbowl News’ primary focus is breaking news about power, the nation’s political leadership, and explaining to our audience of political junkies how Washington works. We produce (at least) three newsletters each day, a daily podcast, and more. Punchbowl News’ theory is that power in Washington emanates from the Capitol — and that’s the center of our focus.
We are looking for a Lead Engineer to help us grow our media business and become the technical lead for Punchbowl News. You’ll work closely with the founding team in building Punchbowl News.
- Lead all technical efforts for Punchbowl News
- Manage contractors, freelancers, and agencies to help support and build our technical infrastructure
- Manage end-to-end development lifecycle for our CMS, payment processor, and all connected applications
- Own current tech stack and guide the company in building for the future
- Ideate, research, experiment and build new improvements and features for Punchbowl News’ digital platform
- 5+ years of work experience
- Fluent and experienced in using PHP to build and extend custom themes for WordPress, integrating with third-party services, and customizing the content management system
- Can prioritize, break down, and execute technical projects
- Able to communicate technical topics to non-technical stakeholders
- Can solve product, design, and technical problems and fill in own gaps in knowledge via research and/or experimentation
- Comfortable learning on the job
- Enjoys working in an autonomous environment that moves fast and ships frequently
This job has the option of being remote or in Washington D.C.