Fully Remote - Frontend Software Engineer - React
What we are looking for
LaterPay is looking for a full time Frontend Engineer to join our fully distributed tech team. You’ll work on various frontend applications, building new features, as well as maintaining and fixing existing code.
As a fully distributed organisation, we use Slack as our office, Jira for transparency and organising work, and video calls for real-time collaboration (and just to hang out face to face).
If you are interested in the role, but don’t meet all of the criteria listed below, please apply anyway. We understand that growth is continuous and we are committed to helping you grow at Laterpay.
We’re looking to hire someone at mid-level or higher. We would expect the ideal candidate to:
- Translate ideas into projects with discrete tasks.
- Give guidance & unblock others on their team/area.
- Be sought out by others as a technical resource.
- Seek design, architecture or specialized input when needed (and know when it’s needed).
- Make good, informed decisions around technical debt and tradeoffs.
- Communicate with non-technical team members to understand needs and give technical advice.
You’ll be responsible for:
- Working within a cross functional team that includes a Product manager, UX designer and Backend developers to understand the requirements and scope that drive the design of technical solutions.
- Writing reusable components and associated styling.
- Writing unit and integration tests.
- Setting up and managing appropriate tooling.
- Assisting with documentation of new features, contributing to the documentation of existing ones.
- Finding and addressing performance issues throughout the application.
- Helping to identify and fix front-end bugs and issues.
Our ideal candidate has:
- Experience with React, state management libraries (such as Redux), and Webpack:
- It is very important that you are able to hit the ground running with our existing React-based UIs.
- Experience with or exposure to some other tools which exist in our projects: TypeScript, React MUI, Emotion, Storybook and Python (useful, but not strictly required.)
- Experience with E2E testing, visual testing and unit testing in React codebases.
- A solid surface/contextual-level understanding of “the full web stack”.
- A good command of English: written and verbal, producing and understanding.
- As a distributed team, we primarily communicate via Slack, so the ability to clearly and completely communicate in written English is vital.
- We also frequently hop on calls, both audio and video, so the ability to clearly speak and understand English is also vital.
How we work
We are all united by the belief that making it easy for consumers to buy digital content and services on their terms results in happier users and more revenue for content creators. We believe that empowering creators, communities, causes and content providers to generate sustainable revenue, and removing obstacles by trusting consumers and giving them a choice for how to buy online content and services, is imperative for a healthy Internet.
LaterPay has about 30 people spread over 13+ countries in time zones from UTC-8 to UTC+2. Since our founding, we have been a remote first and fully distributed team (though we have offices in Munich and in New York). We care more about the things you do than your presence in a chair at a desk at 9am every day. That said, most of us work Monday - Friday from 7ish UTC to 4ish UTC, and ideally you’ll have at least four hours of overlap with that. We try to be as asynchronous as possible, but still feel that we need some “synchronicity” to work well.
Our values are:
- Be fearless. Be entrepreneurial.
- Simplify things.
- Own your decisions. Your successes. Your mistakes.
- Enjoy diversity and inclusion.
- Work as a team. Trust each other.
We’re proud to have employees from many different nationalities, races, genders, ages, backgrounds, educations, and levels of experience. We believe that intentionally assembling a diverse team is not only the right thing to do, but also helps to ensure we build a product that works for and appeals to an audience that faithfully reflects our communities and our shared planet.
Check out our Behind the scenes blog for more insight on how we work.
Up to €75k / year, negotiable based on experience level.