Full Stack Developer
Time zones: EST (UTC -5) CST (UTC -6) MST (UTC -7) PST (UTC -8) AKST (UTC -9) HST (UTC -10) AST (UTC -4) NST (UTC -3:30)
Who we are:
We are a bunch of people who really care about agriculture, food and the challenges facing farming. We want to help farmers with data driven decision making to help nature feed a growing population. Join our team of expert engineers, agronomists, entomologists, crop researchers, and data scientists who are continually conducting research to help drive innovation in agriculture.
Semios is a market leader in leveraging the internet-of-things (IoT) and big data to improve the sustainability and profitability of specialty crops. With 500 million data points being reported by our sensors every day, we leverage our big data analytics, such as in-depth pest and disease modeling, to empower tree fruit and tree nut growers with decision-making tools to minimize resources and risks. We are in a high growth phase with 2021 seeing us expand into Italy, Australia and Spain.
Our innovative work has received several industry awards:
- AgTech Breakthrough Awards Program (2021) – Selected as winner of the "Pest Management Solutions of the Year" award.
- Sustainability Changemaker by SDTC (2022) - Named as one of the companies which recognize homegrown innovation in sustainable technologies in Canada.
- Google Accelerator (2020) – Selected as 1 of 9 companies for the inaugural Google for Startups Accelerator Canada cohort, who are all using technology to solve complex challenges.
We know our journey is only achievable by having a great team who shares ideas, tries new things and learns as we go.
Who you are:
Motivated by meaningful work, you are looking for more than just a job; you want to work for a dynamic, growing company that finds solutions to real-life problems, such as helping the world reduce the use of pesticides and helping nature feed a growing population. Your ideal work environment includes a collaborative team spirit with the opportunity to learn and grow as you take the initiative to try new things.As a Full-stack Developer, you will be responsible for front and back end aspects of Altrac’s web applications. This will include the Altrac web application and API, custom backend tools, and automated customer alerting systems. You will work closely with the development team and the larger Altrac team to develop new products and features for these systems. We encourage every engineer to take an “ownership” role in whatever they work on, and so expect any new team members to look holistically at what they work on.
We want you to succeed, so you will need:
- 3+ years of working experience with SQL databases
- 1+ years of working experience with AWS services, including DynamoDB, Lambda, EC2, RDS, SNS, SQS
- Professional experience with a data ingestion pipeline and relevant concepts
- Collaboration experience using Git, Github and other standard team collaboration tools
- Excellent communication and problem-solving skills
- Experience working remotely or examples of situations where you worked independently on a day-to-day basis
- Experience deploying web applications and managing multiple development environments
- Unit and integration testing experience
Nice to have:
- Experience and/or passion for working on problems that affect farming and food production
- Familiarity with IoT devices and concepts behind how they are managed by users and operators
- Familiarity with Postgres
- Experience delivering data for charting libraries such as HighCharts and Google Charts
- Experience with Postmark, Hubspot and other email delivery tools
- Comfortable working with Mac, Linux and Windows operating systems
- Familiarity with ICE engines and related sensors
- Familiarity with large electric motors (50HP+) and their control systems (ie VFD)
- Familiarity with irrigation systems
Why this is the opportunity for you:
- Sleep better knowing you're making the world a better place through more sustainable food production.
- Opportunity to contribute and make an impact by working on meaningful projects.
- Work with a team that values fun, laughter, and each other in collaborative and casual work environment
- Multiple office locations, convenient via transit and bike paths.
- Flexible hybrid working environment and hours
Semios welcomes all applicants regardless of race, gender, orientation, sexual identity, economic class, ability, disability, age, religious beliefs or disbeliefs, or status. We believe that different perspectives and backgrounds are what make a company flourish and we welcome everyone.