Frontend Engineer - Infrastructure
- 3 applicants (6%)
Frontend Engineer – Infrastructure
NYC or Remote in N America
Hi, we’re Brigit! A holistic financial health company helping every American build a brighter financial future. With a business model that is aligned with our customers, we create transparent, fair, and simple financial products that put money back in the hands of our members, help them spend wisely, avoid unfair fees and build their credit quickly. We’re backed by leading VC’s including Lightspeed Venture Partners and DCM, a number of the world’s most influential social impact investors like Flourish and Sound, and several mission driven celebrity investors like Kevin Durant and Ashton Kutcher! If autonomy, ownership, and having meaningful input at the company you work for is important to you, come join our growing team!
Brigit is doing innovative and exciting work, but don’t just take our word for it, our work is being recognized by others:
- Built In’s 2023 Best Startups to Work For In New York City
- Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies of 2022
- Forbes Fintech 50 2022
- Business Insider’s Most Promising Consumer Startups 2022
Brigit is looking for a Frontend Engineer to help us scale our next-gen consumer finance platform. Our product has tremendous traction helping 1 million+ low income Americans make ends meet. We’ve built beautifully designed, user-centric mobile and web clients with React (including React Native) and TypeScript, but we need help in making them even more user friendly & extensible.
As we approach our next phase of growth, we’re scoping out new products and features helping our users save more and improve their credit options – in short, better equipping them along their financial journey. You’ll have the opportunity to leverage the platform of our current frontend & backend base to build these new products from the ground up for millions of users. Financial products often come with difficult user challenges, and if you’re excited by the idea of reconstructing difficult concepts into easy-to-use interfaces and products for end-users, then this is the right role for you.
Our engineering team has two main goals:
1) Ship Features supporting numerous external and internal applications. The next generation of our product may look nothing like what it does today – and we welcome that! The degree to which we design and create new features (and even new products) for users, architect our frontend-backend communications, implement design-to-development processes will make or break our success.
2) Scalability & Maintainability of our user-facing applications. Growing from 100k users to 10 million presents unique technical challenges. Because we’re growing so quickly, the efficiency and reliability of both our customer facing and internal tools needs to improve. In addition to creating new features, we have many tasks to tackle including the creation and upkeep of components & libraries, REST API design, testing & QA processes, and CI/CD enhancements.
The engineering team is small and nimble; you’ll get an extraordinary amount of autonomy and ownership. More importantly, you’ll have a large say in the direction of the company — both in terms of our technology and our product. One of our greatest strengths is the speed with which we can move. If you want to propose a new way of doing things, we are all ears. If you have an idea for a new feature, we’ll be open to it. A new design paradigm? Bring it on.
At Brigit you’ll find engineering best practices inspired by our experiences at Palantir, Amazon, Two Sigma, a mature CI/CD process, an easy-to-use local/staging/production development environment, and teammates willing to fill in the gaps. We automate manual things so we can focus on thinking and building something that truly helps people.
What You Have
- Experience using HTML & CSS to create beautiful interfaces
- Up-to-date grasp of the constantly evolving JS language standards, ES6 and beyond
- Experience consuming (and spec’ing requirements for) REST APIs
- TypeScript or other compile-to-JS language is a plus; Fullstack/Backend experience (esp. in Java) is a plus; quantitative skills, knowledge or experience in Finance is a plus
- You are a self-starter, self-motivated, and able to work independently and manage multiple projects under minimal supervision
- Experience building UI/UX for new features from end-to-end
- The ability to rebuild an internal dashboard from scratch which greatly enhances our internal customer success team’s efficiency
What You’ll Be Doing
- Implementing interaction and motion design for more delightful user experiences
- Unifying our component and styling libraries to be shared across our mobile and web clients
- Automating visual testing & visual regression detection processes
- Creating new mobile & web clients for upcoming products
- Work with the Product & Design teams to spec, build, and ship a new Financial Health Score feature
- A/B testing and optimizing features that boost our business’ bottom line
- Scale out our mobile/web client distribution to over 2 million users
The Interview Process (Less than 2 weeks total)
Get to Know You – 30 mins
Come prepared to answer a few questions relevant to your experience, interests, and the role at Brigit. This helps us get to know you better and go beyond your resume or other application materials.
Take Home Project, React – 2-4 hours total, on your own time
You will be asked to re-create a simple game of Black Jack. This is an opportunity to showcase your process and approach for creating a working realish-world feature/product in a React environment. More information will be sent via email.
Project Review – 45 mins
Meet with members of the team to explain your Take Home project in deeper detail. Why did you make the decisions you did? What challenges did you run into?
Technical Interview, Architecture – 45 mins
Meet with the hiring manager and be prepared to discuss your experience in greater detail than the intro round with Talent. You will be asked to walk through your architecture/end-to-end experience. Please prepare to share concrete examples of past projects.
Final, Design – 45 mins
Last step! Meet with a Designer to go over your cross-functional experience. This is the person you’ll get to collaborate with most to create beautiful UX/UI.
The anticipated annual base salary for this position is $100,000 – $170,000. This range does not include any other compensation components or other benefits for which an individual may be eligible. The actual base salary offered depends on a variety of factors, which may include as applicable, the qualifications of the individual applicant for the position, years of relevant experience, specific and unique skills, level of education attained, certifications or other professional licenses held, and the location in which the applicant lives and/or from which they will be performing the job.
Our Benefits & Team
- Help hard working Americans build a brighter financial future
- High-growth company at an early stage
- Equity participation
- A dynamic, flexible and collaborative start-up work environment with a highly talented team
- Flexible PTO Policy – Encourage a minimum of 3 Weeks PTO
- 401k plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Monthly reimbursements to use against wifi and cell phone bills
Brigit is committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees without regard to race, religion, color, sex, pregnancy (including breast feeding and related medical conditions), national origin, citizenship status, uniform service member status, age, genetic information, disability, or any other protected status in accordance with all applicable federal, state and local laws. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.