Founding Software Engineer
- 13 applicants
Things you might do on any given Tuesday at Owners:
We're looking for people who are excited about what we're doing -you don't need to know anything about home service businesses, but should be excited to learn. We're building in an entirely new space, so you'll be able to use creativity to help us solve problems and delight our Owners. You'll be working closely with me (CPO) and our engineering team to debug, test, and build new features. Our stack is React, Node, and Postgres.
• Design and implement maintainable backend services, including data processing pipelines, APIs, etc
• Create interfaces to help our Owners run their businesses, price their projects right, and understand what is going on with their business.
• Build integrations between us and our partners
• Help us scale to process millions of events per month
This list is not exhaustive at all, and you'll have a lot of autonomy over your work. Our team is composed of a diverse group of product-minded, generalist engineers.
None of these are requirements, but do describe the kinds of people that we think would be most effective at Owners right now.
1. Think that there's still a ton for you to learn
2. Believe in openly sharing progress as you work
3. Believe in giving and receiving candid and transparent feedback
4. Are capable of having robust debates
5. Embrace a Disagree and commit (vs a consensus-driven) culture
6. Believe in being deliberate about your time
7. Are high on self-awareness and introspectiveness
8. Enjoy thinking through trade-offs, with both mindfulness of short-term needs and our
9. Happy writing documentation so that others can ramp up super easily and you're
never a single-source-of-failure. We're a bit too small to have silos.
Why you might not be excited about us
1. Feel best around teams with a robust hierarchy
2. Find that teams work best when people strictly stick to their job descriptions
3. We can't (yet) provide close mentorship for junior developers, especially as we're small. As we grow, we'll get a lot better at this.
4. Since you'll have a lot of responsibility and creativity over projects, they may not be defined perfectly initially. You'll be expected to bring your own experience and perspective to help us do the right things, and raise flags if you think we should do things differently.
5. Enjoy big-reveal moments after working siloed on a project
Our current development practices
Since we're an early-stage startup, we constantly have to ask "what gets the most value, cheaply, to validate our assumptions?" We build some things to last a long time, and others as prototypes. You'll help push us to be our best, and we're excited for the recommendations and insights you have as you join. You'll be an owner and contribute to how we work.