Director of Engineering & Product
- USA Only
- 0 applicants
Location: US Locations Only; 100% Remote
Everyday Speech is a leader in Social-Emotional Learning. Primarily a teaching solution for public schools, our Social-Emotional Learning Platform (SELP) provides educators with curriculum materials for students of ALL ages across special education and general education classes. Our curriculums teach students the strategies and life skills they need to regulate their emotions, solve problems, cope with the stresses of modern life, and interact with the world around them. Our platform is used by 25,000+ educators at public schools and private educational institutions around the world.
Everyday Speech is right for you if:
You care about making a positive impact.
End each day knowing that your work had a direct impact on the well-being of hundreds of thousands of at-risk students across the world. Project success means more than just shipping features – it means improving the lives of students and educators.
You value being a part of a company that takes care of its team.
Not only do we have extremely happy team members, we also have incredible perks. Participate in our health/wellness and retirement benefit offerings, and between having every other Friday off (3-day weekends!) after you’ve been with us for 90 days, plus our flexible PTO plan, and a sick policy that focuses on your wellness and healing, that elusive work-life balance is an actual thing here.
You want to work for a true, remote-only company.
We’ve never had an office and never will. Our team is spread across 10 countries and 4 continents. We take remote work seriously and know how to support a distributed team. We give you the flexibility to work in a way that’s best for you, but still have high standards and accountability.
You want to join a startup that is seeing massive growth.
We’ve expanded from 5 to 55 full-time team members in just 4 years! As a fully bootstrapped company, our growth is organic and sustainable. Our focus is delivering value to students and educators, not paying back investors.
The Director of Engineering & Product will be responsible for leading our Engineers, Product Managers, and QA team. We are looking for someone who has experience shipping software, who deeply understands the complexity of technical challenges, who knows how to create systems to help Product Managers excel, who is adept at establishing an inclusive and growth-minded culture, and who is an extremely competent coach.
The work you do will have a direct impact on the well-being of hundreds of thousands of at-risk students across the country and the world.
Skills: technical expertise, product management, leadership and management, strategic thinking, project management, agile methodologies, data- driven decision-making, business acumen, adaptability, and customer focus. These skills enable effective software development, vision definition, team leadership, alignment with company goals, resource coordination, agile practices, data utilization, business understanding, flexibility, and customer satisfaction
In this role , you will:
- Ship high-quality, scalable, secure, and efficient software.
- Work with the Executive Team to define and implement the product strategy and roadmap based on customer needs, market trends, and business objectives.
- Coordinate with the engineering, sales, and marketing teams to align product development and go-to-market strategies.
- Oversee and guide the work of the Engineers, Product Managers, Product Designers, and QA, ensuring they are effectively managing their products and achieving their KPIs.
- Regularly interact with customers and stakeholders to gather feedback, build relationships, and communicate the product vision and progress.
- Work closely with the Lead Infrastructure Engineer on technical strategy and ensure that the engineering team is aligned with it.
- Collaborate with the product team to understand product requirements and ensure they are translated effectively into technical specifications.
- Manage resources, timelines, and risks related to engineering projects, ensuring deliverables are completed within budget and on schedule.
What We’re Looking For:
- Leadership and Culture: Foster a culture that values speed, ruthless prioritization, transparency, and continuous learning. Inspire and motivate the team to create a collaborative environment where everyone feels valued and professionally fulfilled.
- Technical Strategy and Innovation: Define and implement the technical strategy that aligns with the startup’s mission and objectives. Encourage an environment of innovation and keep up with the latest industry trends and technologies.
- Simplicity and Continuous Delivery: Emphasize simplicity in engineering projects and maintain a continuous delivery model. Ensure the effective use of tools and methodologies for fast, frequent, and reliable releases of high-quality software.
- Communication and Collaboration: Maintain transparency through clear communication about project status, issues, and decisions. Collaborate closely with product management and other departments to align engineering efforts with overall company goals.
- Process Improvement and Technical Excellence: Continually evaluate and refine engineering processes to ensure efficiency and agility. Uphold high standards of technical excellence, including code quality, testing, and security practices.
Skills & Experience Requirements:
- Strong knowledge and experience in software development, engineering principles, and technical architecture are crucial. This includes proficiency in programming languages, frameworks, and software development methodologies, with an extra bonus if you have this work in your own personal work history.
- Product management: Ability to define product vision, roadmap, and strategy, as well as prioritize features, conduct market research, and collaborate with cross-functional teams.
- Strong service-oriented leadership skills, effective communication, and the ability to foster a collaborative and inclusive work environment
- Strategic thinking: Analyzing market trends, identifying opportunities, and making informed decisions to drive business growth.
- Deeply grounded perspective on how to ship software.
- Analyzing user feedback, monitoring key performance indicators, and using data-driven insights to improve products and drive business outcomes.
- Understanding the business aspects of an edtech company, including revenue models, market dynamics, and competitive landscape.
- At least 5 years of experience in a Director-level role overseeing Product and Engineering teams.
- At least 3 years of experience maintaining the same product and seeing choices play out.
For this role, we are only considering candidates who are able to live and work in the United States.
Salary : $210,000 USD
- Cigna health insurance – 100% premium coverage for team members and 50% coverage for dependents
- Dental and Vision coverage – 100% premium coverage for team members and 50% coverage for dependents
- 3% employer-match on 401k
- $50k life insurance / AD&D
- Flexible PTO Plan
- Separate sick leave policy
- Home office reimbursements
- Meaningful DEIB (diversity, equity, inclusivity, and belonging) initiatives with optional employee panel participation
- Every other Friday off after 90 days!
Because our co-founders have a new baby on the way right around the end of this hiring cycle, we felt it was important to give applicants insight into our best guess as far as timing goes for the various phases of this role, in addition to target start date. Anyone qualified for this position will certainly understand that things can come up that may tweak the timing a bit, but please take a look at this timing outline to ensure this is a timeline that will work for your needs.
Location : US Locations Only