- USA Only
Poll Everywhere is a 60-person growing technology startup. Over the last decade, our company has worked to transform presentations into two-way conversations. Our mission now is to make presentations more inclusive. Presenters from Google, Target, AT&T, and thousands more trust Poll Everywhere at their most vulnerable moments: in front of an audience. Our product creates interactive questions, word clouds, and discussions to gather instant feedback in a style that goes beyond a simple Q&A forum. In short, we have a product that helps companies communicate better, and it’s worth paying for. We’re driven to honor this trust.
Our business engineering organization values those with a growth mindset to identify and solve complex problems that may have not been tackled before. At Poll Everywhere, we are serious about helping our engineers meet their career goals and strive to create learning opportunities for those who are proactive. Development and collaboration is an important part of how we decide to form our teams when diving into new technologies and building software to make our teams work faster and more efficiently.
We’re looking for an ambitious developer with at least 2+ years of experience. As a Business Engineer, you will work on and potentially lead projects to enhance and support internal-facing features, tools and integrations. You will write code that is easy to read, understand, and maintain using many different technologies. Our core tech stack includes Ruby on Rails, MySQL, ES6, Redux, Sass, and Lit Element for WebComponents. Poll Everywhere has a great track record of being a place to enhance and deepen your technical skills. Many of our alumni have moved into highly successful positions at other tech companies, and we’re very thankful for the opportunities we have had to be part of the growth that prepared them for those roles.
What you’ll do:
• Build fast, reliable, real-time web-based applications.
• Develop automations in our core software and third-party tools with the goal of empowering other PollEvians to do more higher-order work.
• Design and implement system integrations that keep data moving between our core applications and third-party systems such as Salesforce or Zendesk.
• Collaborate and work with Business Engineering Managers and Technical Project Leads (engineers) to understand your tasks and responsibilities.
• Participate in many aspects of delivering a project (requirements gathering, architecture, planning, communication, documentation, metrics, and execution)
• Work with a coach who’s invested in finding the right opportunities for your growth.
• Own and deliver on more than one objective at a time by completing your project’s feature work while contributing to the team through code reviews and ongoing maintenance.
• Write maintainable tests while you code, avoiding both false positives and false negatives. TDD and BDD are welcome here!
• Develop using 12factor.net principles
What you bring to the role:
• 2+ years of web application development experience
• 1+ years building web components with a modern framework such as Lit/Polymer, React, Vue.js.
• 2+ years working with Ruby on Rails or 3+ years of experience on similar server-side frameworks (Phoenix, Django, Express)
• 1+ year working with a Flux-based state management library such as Redux, Vuex, Mobx.
• 1+ years experience with MySQL or a similar relational database.
• Awareness of secure coding practices and the importance of incorporating these practices in your work.
Bonus points if you have:
• Experience designing optimized database schemas
• Familiarity with OWASP and other software security best practices
• Experience developing scalable web applications using Elixir
• WebSockets and time-sensitive workloads
• Experience optimizing page rendering times using a tool such as Lighthouse
• Experience configuring web servers such as NGINX for security, performance, and maintainability
• B.S. or B.A. in Computer Science or Software Engineering
What we offer:
• $150/month internet & personal cell phone reimbursement
• Monthly coffee and or tea subscription
• $1,000 + 2 days of PTO annual self-development budget
• $500 work from home stipend to help you set up your remote work life for success
• Once we are able to safely reunite as an entire company, we will resume our biannual company retreats and quarterly visits for remote employees.
If you don’t meet 100% of the above qualifications, you should still seriously consider applying.
Keep applications brief; we want small resumes with relevant experience. Principals only, please. We aren’t using contingency staffing agencies at the moment. Poll Everywhere is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.