Backend Software Engineer II - Optimization
- USA Only
Backend Software Engineer II – Optimization
Location: Remote, USA or San Francisco, CA
Life360 is a Remote First company, which means a remote work environment will be the primary experience for all employees. All positions, unless otherwise specified, can be performed remotely (within the US) regardless of any specified location above.
Life360 is on a mission to bring families closer and that starts with ensuring that loved ones are safe and secure. That’s why millions of families across 140 countries trust Life360 to keep them connected each day, and in life’s unpredictable moments.
From real-time location sharing and notifications, to driving safety features like Crash Detection and Roadside Assistance, we create tools that remove uncertainty from modern life so families can feel free, together.
About The Team
The Optimization Team is laser focused on wringing any and all inefficiencies out of our large scale production infrastructure. This is a multidisciplinary team that spans across the mobile clients deployed around the world, the cloud APIs that power near real time emergency services dispatch, and the large scale data analytics environment that guides our work.
About the Job
Working with the rest of the Optimization and SRE teams this role will be responsible for making targeted fixes to our code and related infrastructure services. These changes can span from simple cleaning up of unused resources to more complex work updating cache sharding and deployment patterns.
What You’ll Do
Working in a mix of Java, PHP and/or Python you’ll be making non-business logic changes to services (ex: migrating an existing code base to Kubernetes), ensuring that only required resources are being run in AWS, and related lightweight reporting and automation tooling.
What We’re Looking For
- Bachelor’s in Computer Science, Engineering, related field or equivalent practical experience
- 4+ years experience writing/reading/debugging/optimizing code in one or more languages, such as: Java, Python, PHP (with a strong preference for Java)
- 4+ years experience developing solutions involving HTTP, REST, web technologies, proxies, authentication, and security
- 4+ years experience with backend development or backend development frameworks
- Experience with Java microservice deployment (Spring Boot)
- Experience with relational and/or non-relational databases.
- Familiarity with Docker and Kubernetes
- Familiarity with AWS
- Excellent troubleshooting and attention to detail
- Exposure to scale and distributed systems
- Experience with systems/application monitoring; knowledge of Prometheus is a plus
- Competitive pay and benefits
- Medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance plans (100% paid for employees)
- 401(k) plan with company matching program
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) for mental wellness.
- Flexible PTO and 12 company wide days off throughout the year
- Learning & Development programs
- Equipment, tools, and reimbursement support for a productive remote environment
- Free Life360 Platinum Membership for your preferred circle
Our company’s mission driven culture is guided by our shared values to create a trusted work environment where you can bring your authentic self to work and make a positive difference
- Build A High Performing Team Communicate Directly, Be a Good Person
- Make Things Happen Take Ownership, Think Long Term
- Deliver an Exceptional Experience Users Come First, Quality & Craftsmanship
Our Commitment to Diversity
We believe that different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds create a stronger and more creative work environment that delivers better results. Together, we continue to build an inclusive culture that encourages, supports, and celebrates the diverse voices of our employees. It fuels our innovation and connects us closer to our customers and the communities we serve. We strive to create a workplace that reflects the communities we serve and where everyone feels empowered to bring their authentic best selves to work.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Life360. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status or any legally protected status.
We encourage people of all backgrounds to apply. We believe that a diversity of perspectives and experiences create a foundation for the best ideas. Come join us in building something meaningful.
Since the majority of our staff is located on the US West Coast, our primary working hours will be 9-4pm PST