Komoot is an app that lets you find, plan, and share adventures with the easy route planner. Driven by a desire to explore, and powered by the outdoor community’s recommendations, it’s komoot’s mission to inspire great adventures, making them accessible to all. Google and Apple have listed us as one of their Apps of the Year numerous times - and with 17+ million users and 100,000 five-star reviews - komoot is on the way to becoming the most popular cycling and hiking app for people who love adventures worldwide.
Join our fully remote team and change the way people explore!
About the role
As komoot’s newest backend engineer, you’ll join a highly-motivated team dedicated to building the world’s best route planner and outdoor mapping app. In close collaboration with other members of an agile cross-functional team, you’ll take full ownership of the backend. Designing, implementing and deploying microservices in AWS.
We’re focused on impact, which is why we love finding simple and smart solutions to complex problems while embracing modern technologies to solve our toughest challenges.
Join us if you live and love infrastructure as code, automating workflows, x10 scaling challenges, and building resilient, self-healing micro-services.
Ready for your next adventure?
What you will do
- Implement new product features closely with client developers, designers, copywriters, quality assurance, data scientists, and product managers
- Keep our system state-of-the-art and resilient for our fast-growing traffic
- Develop end-to-end solutions including concept, road map planning, implementation, testing, deployment and monitoring
- Build new microservices with Kotlin, AWS and improve existing solutions
- Work on high-traffic online services (like REST/GraphQL APIs) and offline workers
Why you will love it
- You’ll work with a truly inspiring product that brings real-life value to our users and empowers them to explore more of the great outdoors.
- You’ll work on the full cycle of backend development, including working out concepts, implementing, testing, deployment and monitoring.
- We strive for a modern tech stack to stay productive and face scaling challenges.
- We are a tech company with little organisational overhead focusing on ownership and responsibility instead of micro-management and hierarchies.
- This is a remote role – you’re free to work from anywhere that lies between the time zones UTC-1 and UTC+3. Beach? The mountains? Or a co-working space (covered by us)?
- You’ll become part of a diverse, international team and you’ll travel with us (when safe) for team gatherings in amazing locations several times a year. Check out this playlist to find out more about how we stay close while being remote. (https://bit.ly/39xtIrn)
You will be successful in this position if you
- Are highly self-driven, responsible and keen to learn and improve
- Have 2+ years of professional experience in developing distributed web applications
- Have experience with AWS, Google Cloud or Microsoft Azure
- Have experience with Infrastructure as Code, continuous integration & deployment and monitoring
- Are a great communicator in a diverse team
Sound like you?
We would love to hear from you! Please send us the following:
- Your CV in English highlighting your most relevant experience.
- A write-up (Cover Letter) explaining who you are and why you would like to work with us.
- Examples of your work (e.g. GitHub, Talks, Slideshare, etc.)
- Feel free to send us something that shows us a little more about what you’re interested in, be it your Twitter/Instagram account, or your OpenStreetMap profile if you have one.
At komoot we want to make great adventures accessible to everyone. We support diversity and inclusivity within the outdoors and welcome all prospective applicants.
We have a rolling recruitment process. If this role is online it means it’s still open. We’re accepting applications and actively looking for the perfect candidate. Is it you?