Favor is hiring a
Back End - Staff Software Engineer
- USA Only
- 8 applicants (100%)
Back End – Staff Software Engineer
TEXAS OR REMOTE
- Favor’s mission is ‘Anything Delivered’. Our engineers make high-touch logistics happen. The Favor technology platform is the engine behind the business enabling millions of Favors.
- Our technology efficiently manages the real-time assignment of Runners to Favors, facilitates communication between customers, Runners, and support, keeps thousands of customer and Runner mobile applications in sync, and more.
- Do you get a thrill when you make an impact on hundreds of thousands of users? Do you want to work for a purpose and value driven company in a high growth environment?
- Our engineers create the tools and applications necessary to connect our customers, Runners, merchants, and support teams.
- As a Staff Engineer at Favor you will be responsible for all phases of development, testing, and deployment of our web applications, back-end services, databases, and data warehouse.
- You will work closely with our product and operations teams to understand customer needs, build simple solutions to complex problems, and deliver delightful experiences to all our users.
- At Favor, we are committed to building a world class team that shares a passion for modern, clean code and products that make a difference. We need engineers like you to help us achieve our mission of ‘Anything Delivered’.
- Recommends changes to processes and tools at the team level based on industry standards, patterns and practices
- Leads creation of documentation and provides training around technology stacks and standards
- Helps other engineers to understand system/application designs
- Work with engineering and product management to plan solutions for large features
- Communicates individual and project-level development statuses, issues, risks, and concerns to technical leadership and managementIndependently build, diagnose, and fix high complexity technical issues
Skills & Qualifications:
- 6+ years of software engineering experience
- Ability to lead larger initiatives working with the product, design, and engineering teams
- Advanced understanding of software design patterns to write clean, well-structured, idiomatic code leveraging the full power of a language
- Creates solutions to problems under various constraints using novel algorithms and data structures
- Writes atomic tests with minimal side effects and has a strong understanding of test automation techniques
- Able to gather and define software requirements considering multiple patterns and strategies in order to build efficient solutions
- Knowledge of how different parts of a system architecture will work together and can diagnose issues within the system
- Ability to use debugging tools to trace and diagnose issues
- Expert knowledge of REST + JSON, API versioning strategies, and security best practices
- Communicates difficult technical concepts in precise, concise, and unambiguous terms
- Can read and understand an execution plan for the purposes of optimizing table structure and tuning queries
- Appreciate simple design
- Love to write clean, well tested code – test first or TDD approaches a plus
- Like working with other engineers in a collaborative and iterative environment
- Have experience in a high-growth startup
- Communicate well with technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Have experience or familiarity with one or more of the following technologies: PHP, Scala, Kotlin, Java, MySQL, Postgres, Kafka, Docker, Kubernetes, Terraform, AWS, Elasticsearch, JUnit, Jenkins
Life at Favor:
- Benefits — We offer premium health, vision, dental, life, and 401(k) options. We also offer Favor delivery credit and H-E-B discounts!
- Time-Off — We offer unlimited PTO for salary employees and ample vacation time to all team members. We empower you to live your best life and do your best work!
- *Learning & Development *— We encourage personal growth and education through regular Learning Labs taught by internal team members and external facilitators.
- Community — Whether you’re an avid cyclist, dog lover, or Magic enthusiast, there’s a group for you here. We foster community through Employee Resource Groups (ERGs), quarterly company-wide events, happy hours, and regular connection opportunities.