Senior iOS Engineer
- 16 applicants
Senior iOS Engineer (Worldwide Remote)
Hi, we’re DuckDuckGo, the Internet privacy company for everyone who wants to take back their privacy now. For over a decade, we’ve been building our product, including new privacy technology, and working with policymakers to make online privacy simple and accessible for all.
Our app is now downloaded more than 75M times a year, and our private search engine packaged with it has become the #2 search engine on mobile in over 21 countries, including the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, Germany, and the Netherlands. Oh, and we’ve been profitable since 2014 with revenue currently exceeding $100 million a year! Now, we’re rolling out a suite of new privacy solutions, including Email Protection, App Tracking Protection
and our first-ever Desktop Apps for Mac and Windows.
We’re looking for a Senior iOS Engineer to help shape our all-in-one privacy solution and join our mission to show the world that protecting your privacy online can be simple.
In this role, you will autonomously lead highly impactful projects that scale across millions of users from proposal through to postmortem assessing vague problems, proposing high impact solutions, and executing them against a set of success criteria. You will also:
- Step up to resolve product issues – large and small.
- Identify opportunities to increase searches and enhance the standard of trust online.
- Own major application features and take responsibility for their maintenance and improvement over time.
- Collaborate with peers remotely during product brainstorms, technical design discussions, pair programming sessions and code reviews.
- Write pragmatic, performant, and testable code that works consistently across devices.
- Always work to improve the quality of the codebase.
What You Will Bring to DuckDuckGo
- Ability to lead and collaborate on high-impact and complex projects from proposal through post-mortem.
- Skills to wrangle vague problems, propose innovative solutions, and execute them with a strong focus on metrics.
- Significant iOS engineering experience (5+ years), with experience working on at least two large native iOS applications.
- Experience programming in Swift.
- Deep understanding of software design patterns such as MVVM, MVP, etc., mobile threading, and memory management and how they apply to mobile applications.
- A fundamental understanding of complex data structures and algorithms, which enables you to develop and apply new solutions and confidently navigate and improve existing code.
- Ability to leverage both quantitative and qualitative data and to collaborate with a cross-functional team to develop effective UX solutions.
- Effective project management skills.
- Creative problem solvers and risk takers. You like to take initiative to push projects forward but know when to involve others.
- Excellent communication skills. You can validate your decisions and communicate them clearly.
- Knowledge of Kotlin and willingness to do Android related work would be considered a plus.
How We Will Support You
Our core values — build trust, question assumptions, and validate direction — underpin how we work day-to-day and the support we give our team members. We strive to empower our team members to be self-directed and self-motivated in their work.
- Remote First, Always : We’ve always been a fully distributed company with team members all over the world. We trust you to get your work done wherever, whenever.
- Commitment to Personal Growth: Every team member has an annual budget of $1,250 USD to invest in their professional development. Every team member also has a dedicated Career Advisor, who serves as a guide to help you develop your strengths, identify your motivations, and understand your opportunities for growth.
- Leadership: We have many different types of leaders and possible combinations of leadership roles, so you can grow your career in a way that aligns best with your personal goals. You can seek additional leadership roles by being directly responsible for projects, taking ownership of areas of the company, developing and maintaining internal processes, or pursuing advisory roles.
- Work/Life Balance: Team members have the freedom and flexibility to organize their own work schedules. We want you to thrive both in and out of the office. We trust you to use good judgment and take the time off that you need to bring your best self to work.
We also offer paid parental leave, a co-working stipend, office setup reimbursement, and a wellness stipend. More support resources can be found in our Team Member Support Guide, which explains how we make your well- being a priority.
For more information on how we collaborate worldwide, from leadership in our relatively flat organization to start-to-finish ownership, check out DuckDuckGo Culture: How We Work.
Annual compensation: $170,000 USD and stock options. Compensation is the same within a professional level, regardless of geographic location or functional area, and the compensation for each professional level is transparent across the organization.
Hiring works best when it’s a two-way street. Learn how we help you get to know DuckDuckGo and envision your future role here. Find out more about how we hire.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
DuckDuckGo provides equal work opportunities to all team members and applicantsand it prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type n the basis of race, color, ethnicity, caste, religion, age, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by our policies or federal, state, or local laws.