Mobile Product Design Lead
Status is building the tools and infrastructure for the advancement of a secure, private, and open web3.
With the high level goals of preserving the right to privacy, mitigating the risk of censorship, and promoting economic trade in a transparent, open manner, Status is building a community where anyone is welcome to join and contribute.
As an organization, Status seeks to push the web3 ecosystem forward through research, creation of developer tools, and support of the open source community.
As a product, Status is an open source, Ethereum-based app that gives users the power to chat, transact, and access a revolutionary world of DApps on the decentralized web. But Status is also building foundational infrastructure for the whole Ethereum ecosystem, including the Nimbus ETH 1.0 and 2.0 clients, the Keycard hardware wallet, and the Waku messaging protocol (a continuation of Whisper).
As a team, Status is completely distributed since inception. Our team is currently 85+ core contributors strong, and welcomes a growing number of community members from all walks of life, scattered all around the globe.
We care deeply about open source, and our organizational structure has minimal hierarchy and no fixed work hours. We believe in working with a high degree of autonomy while supporting the organization's priorities.
About the role
As a Mobile Product Design Lead you’re the magician behind all pixels in our mobile app. This role fits you well if you’re a craftsperson to the bone and in your happy place when you get to design detailed interactions and geek out on components in Figma. To you, auto-layout is 2nd nature and you get wings from a few days of uninterrupted Framer.
We're a small, tight-knit Design Team, you’ll work closely with vertical leads for different parts of the app (Community, Wallet, Nodes and more). Where they set the tone for the product and features, play the music and design the best interaction experience to make these features easy and delightful to use. Along the way you bump cursors with your counterpart owning the Desktop design system for cross-platform consistency and UX research to improve usability.
Your close collaboration with Engineering and QA will be essential to be successful in this role.
What we ask from you
- Own the Status end-to-end mobile interaction experience
- Deliver carefully thought out interaction and visual designs that support features and user flows proposed by vertical leads and others
- Maintain and grow a Design System that empowers others contribute while maintaining high quality standards
- Proactively propose new approaches to all structural patterns and flows, e.g. onboarding and navigation
- Work with (UI) engineers to promote continued development of components and processes to improve design to developer collaboration
- Develop prototypes with Framer or other tools to share your requirements for animations and transitions
- Be proactive and flexible; Weigh in to shape the team and your role
What you bring
Ideally you will have:
[Don’t worry if you don’t meet all of these criteria, we’d still love to hear from you anyway if you think you’d be a great fit for this role!]
- 5+ years of experience in designing production-ready digital products
- Portfolio that demonstrates native mobile design experience
- Experience with building and maintaining design systems
- A strong eye for detail and design each pixel with love and attention for the bigger picture
- Adopt a modern design workflow and willing to work in Figma
- A strong interest in Web3
- Fluent in English
- Living in, or comfortable working in, UTC ± 4h
- Experience with GitHub, or a similar software versioning tool
- Experience with design for Web3 products
- Experience with React Native
- Enthusiasm for Open-source and designing in public
- Experience with group chat/community interfaces
- Experience designing iconography
Perks and benefits
- Work with some of the most passionate & dedicated minds in the Ethereum space.
- We ask that you’re willing to be paid in a combination of fiat and cryptocurrency.
- We’ll reward you with a competitive base salary.
- We’ll also reward you with SNT (Status Network Tokens) to give you a real stake in the success of the organisation.
- A generous budget (€2000 Euros) to choose whatever laptop you prefer.
- We provide a small allowance (up to €250 Euros per month) for a co-working space.
- Work from wherever you choose. Our contributors are a varied bunch - some work from home, some from a coworking space, some from a local cafe, others are nomads.
- We operate an open vacation policy, meaning there are no hard limits or strict rules around how much holiday you take and how you schedule it.
- We want our contributors to be healthy and take the time they need to relax and enjoy quality disconnected time away from work.
- We offer all contributors a Headspace subscription.
- Each team has a travel budget to attend conferences & team meetups of their choice.
- Once per year the whole organisation gets together to connect (so far we’ve visited Bangkok and Prague).
Note: We don’t offer traditional benefits like medical/dental insurance - we’d rather pay you well and give you the freedom to select your own benefits, on your terms.