Head of Content
- USA Only
Head of Content
- Requisition ID: 1212
- Reports to: Chief Growth Officer
- Location: Remote
- Hours: Full time
The Trevor Project is the world’s largest suicide prevention and crisis intervention organization for LGBTQ young people. We are a non-profit that provides 24/7 life-saving support via phone, text, and chat. We also operate the world’s largest safe space social networking site for LGBTQ youth and run innovative research, education, and advocacy programs. We’ve been saving lives every day for over 20 years.
Overview of the role
The Trevor Project has experienced substantial growth over the last four years and is continuing to expand as part of our mission to end LGBTQ youth suicide. To support this continued growth, we are hiring our first Head of Content to develop and lead our Content and our Creative Department. Reporting to the Chief Growth Officer, the Head of Content will build the blueprint for the future of content marketing at The Trevor Project and oversee the Editorial and Creative teams. Additionally, the Head of Content will collaborate closely with our Communications and Marketing departments and play an important role on our Growth leadership team. A strategic builder who is experienced in also operating at a tactical level while growing their team, the Head of Content will help us unlock the power of storytelling through the creation and distribution of video and editorial content to engage and ultimately save more LGBTQ young lives.
Who you are:
- A content optimization maestro. You understand how to build content designed to have the furthest reach possible. You will have experience in and understanding of the youth marketing and influencer marketing space. You also understand how to use our existing platforms to pull levers so that our content can really take off.
- Creative. You have a good eye for visuals and understand how to give and receive feedback from your Creative team.
- Innovative. You look at the way things are and then imagine 20 ways they can be improved. You’re always thinking about trends in social media and tech and how we can leverage these tools.
- Results-focused. You set clear timelines and drive projects to completion. You know that delivering on goals and metrics is the key to having a significant impact and growing our programs. And, you’re at home in a fast-paced work environment.
- People leader. You know how to hire the best people for the job, how to develop individuals professionally, and how to lead empathetically. You have experience managing medium to large size teams with multiple reporting levels.
- Organized and with an attention to detail. You know how to manage complex projects at once. You can communicate clearly and concisely, and you are a stickler for proper grammar.
- Collaborative. You understand that the best way to meet and exceed goals is through outstanding teamwork. You are diplomatic in your approach, skilled at navigating complexity and ambiguity, and open to receiving feedback and changing course when needed.
- Builder. You’re excited about the opportunity to take the status quo as just a starting point, then implement best practices and continually innovate.
- Passionate. You care about LGBTQ youth. You care about saving lives. You want to come to work and feel inspired every day. You want to change the world.
- Fun. The work we do is very serious, but that doesn’t mean we don’t have fun. We know how to have a good time and you should too.
What you’ll do:
- Develop and oversee the execution of the Content department’s data-informed content marketing strategy
- Oversee our Creative team and ensure that the brand stays true to its visual identity
- Define content marketing goals, and track and measure progress toward goals
- Hire and lead Content department staff, and coach and inspire leaders of the Creative and Editorial sub-departments
- Develop and oversee the adherence to an editorial style guide
- Partner with staff across the organization on current and emerging content needs, including providing content marketing support where content plays a vital role in other departments’ activities, goals, and OKRs
- Manage annual plans, OKRs, workforce planning, and budgets for the Content department
- In collaboration with the Chief Growth Officer and the Growth leadership team, serve as a strategic partner and advisor in matters related to content marketing, our growth strategy and exploration of international and/or language expansion, and other evolving needs of our organization
- Generous vacation and holidays (like a full day off to celebrate Harvey Milk Day!), including three half-day Fridays during the summer
- Comprehensive health insurance (we pay 100% of your premiums for medical, dental, and life), including gender affirmation surgery
- Flexibility to work from anywhere in the U.S. (we provide the technology, a monthly internet stipend and reimbursement to outfit your work-from-home space!)
- Fun virtual office environment and passionate team
- The Trevor Project is an equal opportunity employer
- Meaningful work at an organization that is saving the lives of LGBTQ young people across America every day