Communications and Social Media Associate
- USA Only
Communications & Social Media Associate
at Stack Overflow
Stack Overflow empowers the world to develop technology through collective knowledge. More than 100 million people visit Stack Overflow every month making it one of the 50 most-visited websites in the world.
Stack Overflow’s products include its market-leading knowledge sharing and collaboration platform, Stack Overflow for Teams, in addition to Stack Overflow Reach & Relevance, which is focused on advertising. Organizations such as Bloomberg, Microsoft, Expensify, Zapier, and more partner with Stack Overflow to help them centralize information, increase efficiency, and build faster. Founded in 2008, Stack Overflow is headquartered in New York.
Stack Overflow is looking for a Communications & Social Media Associate on the Marketing & Communications team.
About You: You’re a natural communicator who knows how to connect with developers and with business decision makers. You love reading the news and keeping up with social buzz. You’ll track industry news, work with executives to shape thought leadership platforms, manage media requests, and write daily social media posts in partnership with Content, Product Marketing, and Brand teams.
Experience with a SaaS company, especially one focused on developers, collaboration, and software is strongly preferred. An ideal candidate has experience building rapid response and media relations programs, is a social media wizard, and loves developing creative content. You’re excited about building something (and fixing what isn’t working). Above all, you’re about getting results.
What you’ll do:
- Track breaking industry news and shape thought leadership platforms, and manage media requests
- Collaborate cross functionally to gather data and insights related to industry trends and breaking news
- Manage unpaid promotion of content from owned channels – blog, podcast, newsletter, case studies – and earned media in partnership with Content Marketing and Product Marketing teams
- Ensure that we connect with the developers who use our public platform everyday, and the potential customers who have business challenges we can solve, but may not be as familiar with our brand
Who you’ll be working with:
- Our U.S. PR agency to monitor breaking news and share relevant data and insights
- The Content Marketing team to generate social posts around blog posts, case studies, and thought leadership.
- The Product Marketing team to ensure that B2B social and commentary aligns with our messaging and is targeting the right buyer persona.
- Our Brand team on creative designs and assets for social channels
- Data analysts to surface relevant data and insights related to industry trends and breaking news.
What you need to have:
- 1-3 years of communications, PR, or social media experience, preferably communicating to developers and software purchasers.
- Familiarity with the online communities where developers and people who hire developers congregate.
- Insight into the most important trends in the SaaS space and what motivates potential customers.
- Fluency in social media and the topics that connect with developers, engineers, and CTOs/CIOs.
- Empathy for, and understanding of, developers (how they think, work, learn, communicate, etc).
- Proficient with developer marketing tactics and techniques.
- Experience crafting B2B content for SaaS products and services
- Familiarity with content marketing and product marketing best practices.
- Social media management skills
The Opportunity: Sit at the intersection of a fast growing SaaS business and one of the world’s largest and most engaged communities for developers and technologists. Shape the narrative around developer trends and the future of work. Manage social media that reaches over 1 million followers and draws on content from owned channels – blog, podcast, newsletter, case studies – which collectively reach an audience of more than 3 million each month.
- If this job interests you but you aren’t certain if you meet all of the requirements, apply anyway – we value different perspectives and experiences.
- We’ll only consider applications with a cover letter – please make sure to include yours and tell us what you’ll bring to the team.
What you’ll get in return:
- Competitive base salary
- 20 days paid vacation
- Flexible hours
- Stock options
- Completely free health insurance (no copay, no premiums)
- Gym membership reimbursement
If you want to work remotely…. We’ll reimburse you up to $2,000 to set up a great home office.
If you want to work in our office… You’ll be in our headquarters in New York City, and enjoy additional benefits like free lunch every day prepared by our own in-house chefs, transportation reimbursement, and all the espresso you can drink.
We’re a remote-friendly team. Whether you work remotely or work out of our New York office (re-opening September 7, 2021, and won’t require employees to return to the office for the rest of the year), you’ll be part of a remote work culture that emphasizes flexible online communication (Slack, GitHub, Hangouts, Zoom, Stack Overflow for Teams) so you can feel connected but not overwhelmed by notifications. Life outside of work is important. We want to make sure you have time for it.