Reporter, Daily Newsletter
- USA Only
- 0 applicants (0%)
Reporter, Daily Newsletter
United States (remote)
Morning Brew is a media company that covers the business news and narratives shaping our world. The companies, the people, the workplace, the economy — we nerd out on this stuff, and we’re dedicated to helping our audience navigate it all in a way that informs and entertains.
The Morning Brew team is clever, creative, and growing fast. Want in? Read on.
Are you a self-professed news junkie who has a lot of thoughts about the world of business, current events, and/or Elon Musk? Are you the go-to in your group chat for breaking down complicated, conflicting news out of Wall Street? Do you have a passion for reading the news (even when it’s not your job) and have a firm understanding of what’s going on in the world at any given moment? Then let’s talk.
We’re looking for an enthusiastic, voice-y writer for our flagship email newsletter that’s read by 4.3 million people every day.
Morning Brew’s newsletter offers a recap of the previous day’s news from the business world and beyond in just a five-minute read. Its secret sauce is not just expert curation of the news, but also the way that information is presented—in a friendly, funny, and inclusive voice. Our goal is to make our readers actually enjoy reading the news.
HERE’S WHAT YOU’LL BE WORKING ON
You should be able to sift out the “noise” from the endless stream of tweets and online articles and be able to identify the news stories that will resonate most with our readers. You should also have a deep interest in the business world, particularly the way companies interact with the cultural, political, and environmental forces around them. Knowledge of markets, stocks, and Jerome Powell’s sleeping patterns is a plus.
Finally, you should be a polished writer who is also able to make a reader spit out their coffee with an occasional zinger of a joke. The ability to balance delivering important information and doing so in a way that won’t make readers want to crawl back into bed is the hallmark of Morning Brew’s writing staff.
You do not need formal journalism experience to be considered for this role. Brew writers come from many different backgrounds, and the majority of your writing will involve short, quippier blurbs rather than longer, reported stories. However, you should have experience in writing about current events, comedy writing, or—preferably—both.
This job will require you to work cross-functionally with copy editors, fact- checkers, designers, growth and social leads, and engineers. Being a team player and getting along with peers is essential. You should also be flexible: We’re in high-growth mode at Morning Brew and a game-for-anything attitude is a must.
Morning Brew is based in New York City but this role is remote-friendly for all US-based candidates.
70-75k *Final offers for this job will be made within the parameters of the salary range provided, commensurate with experience. Total offer package to include benefits highlighted under our perks section below.
WHAT ELSE ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
Character and integrity rank pretty high on the list. Our team is guided by our core values:
HOW WE TREAT EACH OTHER
- Respectful Candor: We believe that engaging in timely, constructive, and open discourse is an act of respect that makes for a more transparent and productive work environment.
- Empathy: We establish a strong partnership of trust with our co-workers and partners. We build human connections in order to understand each other.
- Inclusivity: We strive to celebrate and welcome people of diverse backgrounds and cultures. Differing perspectives help us make better decisions and have more fulfilling experiences.
HOW WE TREAT OUR WORK
- Curiosity: We learn every day through deliberate inquiry and exploration. We re-examine assumptions to be a better company, offer better products, and become better colleagues.
- Accountability: We celebrate our successes and own our failures. Taking responsibility for our actions allows us to learn from our experiences.
- Bias Toward Action: We know speed matters in business so we embrace quick and calculated risk-taking. We understand that many actions are reversible and therefore we are solutions-oriented, even when facing obstacles and challenges.
- Challenger Mentality: We don’t allow ourselves to be comfortable with our success. We are hungry to become the best and create more value for our audience.
- Clarity of Purpose: We understand the “why” in our work, which helps us to operate at our highest level of performance and efficiency.
While being surrounded by a bunch of cool people who look great in crewnecks is its own reward, we have plenty more to offer:
- Unlimited PTO: And by “unlimited,” we mean absolutely unlimited.
- U.S Remote-work friendly: Work from home, work from a coffee shop, work from your friend’s sofa, or work from…
- Brew’s Brand-New HQ: Pick an adjustable standing desk or cozy corner and load up on free coffee (duh) and snacks at our new two-story office space in NYC’s Flatiron District.
- 401(k) employer match: We want to help you prepare for the future, now.
- Premium health, vision, and dental plans: Your health matters!
- Mental health benefits: Personalized plans and programs to promote your mental well-being.
- Extra help when you need it: Including a care concierge, plus free access to One Medical and the Calm app.
- Family planning: Want to join #brewparents? Generous paid parental leave and fertility coverage for eligible employees.
- Employee Resource Groups: Black Coffee, LGBTQ Brew, AAPI Brew, Cafe Con Leche, and Grounded
- WFH stipend: Customize your home office, on us!
- Gym and workout class reimbursements: It pays to be healthy.
- Annual learning credit: Want to learn something new? We’ll reimburse you.
Morning Brew is deeply committed to fostering a transparently inclusive workplace environment, and people of color, women, people with disabilities, veterans, and LGBTQIA+ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Our company-wide mission is to reach very diverse audiences, and so, we are committed to having teams and leaders that reflect this mission.