People Operations-Human Resources Associate
People Operations (Human Resources) Associate
SumOfUs is looking for a People Operations Associate to help us grow our team to win campaigns against corporations behaving badly. If you are excited about global economic justice, and if you are hungry to support an amazing team to thrive in a stable and supportive workplace, then this might be the role for you.
This role will primarily focus on supporting recruitment and hiring at SumOfUs, and maintaining the day-to-day work of the HR team. This role requires exceptional project management and organization to keep our work running smoothly, experience in hiring and recruitment, and a grounding in anti-oppression principles.
This position is full-time, remote and can be undertaken by anyone between GMT -5 (East Coast Americas) and GMT +1 (Central European Time, West Africa Time).
A bit about us
SumOfUs is a global movement of consumers, investors, and workers standing together to hold corporations accountable for their actions and forge a new and sustainable path for our global economy. We are a movement of more than 20 million people, brought together by a global team of 40 campaigners, fundraisers, product and operations staff who are passionate about creating a more caring, equitable society.
We are aiming to fundamentally reshape the global economy to put people and planet over profit, but we know we can not do it alone. We build partnerships with on-the-ground activists and organisers, and we follow their lead. We innovate, experiment and embrace professional and organizational growth. We invest in people and we invest in how we work, because our vision calls on us to build the most effective, global, diverse, and talented team possible.
We highly value a diverse team and an equitable work environment where every member of our team is set up to thrive. We have taken steps to nurture this environment including an Anti-Oppression Leadership Team that leads work to transform injustice within the organization. We expect all team members to take responsibility for co-creating an equitable work community where everyone is able to do impactful, world-changing work. We offer benefits including additional sick days for parents and caregivers, flexible working hours, and professional development stipends. We review our policies and practices for equity frequently. We recruit and encourage people identifying with marginalized communities to apply.
What you’ll do as part of our team
- Manage recruitment processes including collaborating with hiring managers, developing job posts, recruiting and screening candidates, and communicating with candidates
- Maintain HR systems like BambooHR and Greenhouse
- Maintain HR records and files ensuring they are are up to date (including employee contracts and files) and organized
- Support team members’ use of HR platforms such as Bamboo HR, Greenhouse, and Clear Review
- On a rotating basis, organize and facilitate all staff meetings
- Maintain knowledge of hiring best practices, trends, laws, regulations, and technology to support our work and work with the People Operations team to apply them at SumOfUs
- Continually work with the People Operations department to streamline processes and systems in line with best practices in the field
- Other duties as assigned, this role is part of a growing People Operations department and there will be opportunities to take on other duties
Skills and experiences you’ll need to bring:
We have no formal education requirements – if you can meet the responsibilities of the role and are willing to grow, that’s all that matters.
All roles at SumOfUs require you to be:
- Dedicated to building a fairer and more sustainable global economy
- Able to demonstrate a commitment to building a diverse, equitable and inclusive work community
- Able to work remotely (SumOfUs provides funds to set-up a home office or to work from a co-working space)
And, this role in particular will require you to:
- Bring at least 2-3 years of HR experience, with a focus on recruitment and hiring
- Facilitate a candidate experience that is smooth, clear, equitable, and positive
- Have a strong equity lens, understand oppression, and bring anti-oppression principles into all aspects of work
- Have excellent organizational skills, be able to track multiple moving pieces and deadlines
- Be comfortable with technology, learning and figuring out new systems, then providing support to team members
- Have excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Be able to handle sensitive information with integrity and maintain confidentiality of HR related information
- Be familiar with applicable best practices, rules, and laws in hiring and HR, and navigate operating in several countries (note: you will not be expected to know labor laws in all the countries we operate in, but will be expected to be able to raise questions and challenge assumptions you may have based on how things are done in your home country)
- Excellent time management skills, and the ability to navigate working across multiple time zones
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills
- Be willing to learn and approach challenges with curiosity and from a solutions based mindset
We know that no one can possibly have all these skills and experiences – you will likely be able to bring 2 or 3 of the following to our team:
- Experience working in nonprofit HR in multiple countries, especially outside the United States
- Experience with remote hiring processes
- Understand how to use data to inform decisions and understand trends in HR
- Relationships in progressive campaigning networks
- Experience with Greenhouse applicant tracking system, Clear Review review software, and/or Bamboo HR
- Fluency in French, German, or Spanish
How to apply
We don’t find cover letters particularly helpful in seeing how someone might fit a role. Instead, use the form below to upload your resume and your answers to the following three questions in English:
- Why are you applying for this job? (suggested word limit: 200);
- We recently advertised for a campaigner to nurture and grow our Spanish-speaking member list (see the job posting here), If you were responsible for recruiting candidates to the role, how would you approach it? (Suggested word limit: 500 words)
- Where would you source candidates from? What types of job boards or forums would you want to post in? (No need to do research on exact job boards, general descriptions like “nonprofit job board in Mexico” are just fine.)
- How would you involve the current team in recruitment?
- What would you do to make sure we’re recruiting a diverse pool of candidates?
- List which of the “BIG PLUS” qualifications above you believe you bring to your work at SumOfUs, with a few words of explanation.
Compensation is competitive and will be determined based on a combination of experience, seniority, and where you live. For some context: this position in the US would pay between $46,000 – 61,400 USD per year. In other regions, compensation will be adjusted for local currency and local market rates. SumOfUs’s compensation policy is calculated with a focus on equity and where staff can thrive.
SumOfUs is a fully remote and distributed team, as such we offer stipends to offset cell phone and internet costs. We offer stipends to set-up home offices or to rent space in a coworking environment. We offer five weeks paid vacation (plus additional sick leave and all major public holidays off and 6 months paid parental leave), contributions to retirement, and the ability to work from home and work with a degree of flexibility outside our core hours of operation. We cover private health insurance premiums for employees and dependents who live in countries without public insurance. We are happy to answer any questions you have about our leave policies and other, similar benefits.
We are an equal opportunity employer, and are committed to racial equity and social justice.