Director of Editorial
- USA Only
Location: US only; working hours are 9AM – 6PM Eastern Time
MATADOR NETWORK, an award-winning travel media company and lifestyle brand, is hiring an experienced leader to run our Editorial Department. If you’re obsessed with creating high-quality, engaging travel content that grows our audience; have a proven track record of driving traffic through content strategy and data analysis; are ready to take charge of a large remote team; and relish the opportunity to immediately leave your mark on our established and trusted travel media brand, we want to hear from you!
Beyond our passion for travel, Matador values diversity, equity, and inclusion and is actively working to spread these values through the travel industry. We are committed to hiring a diverse workforce to elevate and empower a wide array of viewpoints; candidates for this position should fully embrace this mission. You can read more in our statement in support of the Black Travel Alliance.
Things you will be ROCKING:
- Monitoring and growing our website traffic by implementing dialed strategies across email subscribers, social media, SEO, and strategic content distribution partnerships with 3rd parties
- Creating and overseeing an editorial content plan that delivers on Matador’s brand mission, drives traffic and engagement, and maintains a high level of quality and authority in the Travel + Adventure space
- Managing our 10-person remote Editorial Department
- Managing daily production, including approving and assigning stories, bringing in new talented writers, leading team meetings, facilitating cross-departmental communication, and scheduling our content calendar
- Overseeing Editorial hiring and development of freelance contributor network (mostly via our 47,000-person creator community
- Developing content franchises, hubs, and tent-poles around major travel themes and seasonal events — and the strategic distribution of these franchises
- Collaborating with the rest of Matador leadership on branding and strategic direction
- Traveling to attend industry conferences and participate in virtual networking events, representing Matador as our leader of Editorial. Experience and enthusiasm for public speaking is a strong plus.
- Overseeing overall brand voice of Matador Network (in collaboration with CEO and leadership team)
- Presenting Matador’s CEO with quarterly updates, outlining traffic performance, learnings, and goals for the following quarter
You’re really good at:
- Executing data-driven analysis of content performance and adapting strategy accordingly
- People management, collaborative leadership, open communication, and constructive criticism — both giving and receiving it
- Prioritizing limited time and human resources to focus on most important goals
- Staying extremely organized in the face of many tasks and directives
- Solving problems with creativity and staying positive
- Taking calculated risks and thinking outside the box
- Explaining just about anything regarding Matador to just about anyone
- 5+ years of relevant work experience in digital media, including managing an editorial team and a proven track record of growing traffic for a travel or similar publication
- Solid understanding of Google Analytics, SEO strategy, SEMRush, and the desire to learn more
- Excellent writing and editing skills, with a strong eye for stunning/unique imagery, attention to detail, and a quick wit
- A ravenous appetite for media and current trends. You should be aware of trending content across the web and pop culture and be interested in many subjects other than simply “travel”
- A deep knowledge of the travel media space, key players in the industry, and similar companies in our competitive set
- A passion for earned-media, breaking-news, and traffic-driving strategies
- Ability to work autonomously between teams, roles, and geographies, while staying organized and on task
- Ability to work within tight deadlines, adjust to changes in priorities, and balance short-term needs with long-term strategic initiatives
- Ability to balance high-level, strategic projects with day-to-day production tasks
- Passion for all things Matador & experience with our brand (reader, subscriber, social follower)
Nuts and bolts:
- Full-time independent contractor with monthly compensation. Role will convert to employee status after six months.
- Working hours: approximately 9AM – 6PM ET (to bridge the gap between West Coast, East Coast, & European team members)
- Remote position (i.e., working from your home office). This is a permanent feature of the job, regardless of the course of the COVID pandemic
Go for it!
To apply, please send cover letter, resume, and compensationexpectations to Jobs@matadornetwork.com. Please put Director of Editorial in the subject line.
Location : US Locations Only