Chief Executive Officer
CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER
- Full Time
- Remote, Global
Street Business School (SBS) is an award-winning global non-profit dedicated to ending generational poverty by empowering entrepreneurs. As a leader in entrepreneurship training, we equip women living in poverty with the knowledge they need to build sustainable businesses, and the confidence to succeed.SBS is scaling through an innovative social franchise model, which puts the expertise of local NGO partners at the forefront, allowing for localization of a proven model creating transformational results. Since 2016, SBS has trained over 180 partners in 27 countries, including a partnership with BRAC. By 2030 SBS will have trained NGO partners who will collectively support over 6 million people to triple their incomes and rise out of poverty.
SBS works: RCT results demonstrate a robust and significant increase in women’s incomes, profits, business ownership and grit, compared to a control group. SBS graduates increased their incomes by an average of 95 percent, increasing their incomes from $2.47 to $4.82 per day, on average.
Street Business School is a fast paced, impact focused, collaborative organization poised for massive expansion in the years ahead. With a staff of approximately 45 primarily in Uganda and the US, we are scrappy enough to experiment with strategies, we pivot quickly when we need to, and we create measurable transformation. Our work is serious, but our culture is joyful; we grow and push, we laugh a lot, and we make the world a better place. Are you the extraordinary human we need to lead this organization into the next chapter? Keep reading and visit our website to learn more and to get inspired by our stories of impact.
What you will do for us:
The CEO is responsible for leading significant growth, growing the number of women entrepreneurs trained from 40,000 today to 140,000 in three years, lifting 840,000 people out of poverty. The CEO is the leader and external face of SBS, guides the leadership team, and ultimately is responsible for strategic decisions. The CEO oversees financial stewardship, scaling, partnerships and impact, and inspires our team and culture, demonstrating our core values. The CEO will lead the vision and strategy for the organization and ensure the support and resources are in place to achieve organizational goals.
- Lead Philanthropy team to meet annual and multi-year fundraising goals.
- Build systems, talent and expertise to grow fundraising capacity over time, including the ability to leverage large grants.
- Make gift requests and cultivate and steward major donors, including individuals, foundations, corporations and government.
- Provide ultimate oversight of financial budgeting, tracking, reporting and accountability.
- Work closely with the Finance and Fund Development Committees of the Board to support financial oversight and fundraising.
Scaling our Impact
- Focus on systematizing operations and further developing policies and procedures to allow for cost-effective replication.
- Track organization against key metrics that will guide program growth over time.
- With the Business team, create budgets, forecasts, and financial systems that allow for tracking key metrics & cost efficiency.
- With the Board of Directors, focus on three and ten year time horizons to envision where the organization will be and forecast what is needed to get there.
Strategic Partnership Development and Sector Influence
- Represent the organization externally, identify and cultivate potential Large NGO Partners and others in collaboration with the internal Large Partner (LP) team.
- Engage with and develop networks, associations, working groups, conference speaking opportunities, etc. to advance our mission and visibility.
- Stay current with relevant issues in the international development, rights-based development, and social enterprise sectors.
Team and Culture
- Reinforce the dynamic culture & values of SBS, with a focus on maintaining this strength as we scale.
- Recruit, inspire, and manage a diverse team of cross-cultural senior leaders.
- With the leadership team, lead initiatives to ensure staff well-being, engagement and effectiveness.
- Work closely with and serve as staff liaison to the Board of Directors.
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Oversee the strategy and implementation of our monitoring and evaluation work to ensure that SBS creates meaningful impact and is positioned as the most impactful economic empowerment program.
What you’ll need to do this job:
- At least 10 years of leadership experience, including some global experience, with increasing responsibility and tangible positive results.
- Successful fundraising experience with sophisticated foundations and large grants.
- Operational expertise to scale a program globally.
- Demonstrated skill translating an aspirational vision into tactical plans.
- A confident external presence and experience building external partnerships, including an extensive network of contacts within the sector.
- Experience managing a senior team of direct reports as well as the ability to work collaboratively across all teams and levels. Emotional intelligence and cultural sensitivity are required.
- Previous experience working with and reporting to a Board of Directors supporting the governance function.
- An entrepreneurial mindset, a positive and generous attitude, and a sense of humor.
- A commitment to Street Business School’s mission of helping people living in poverty transform their lives.
SBS believes our team is better and stronger with a diversity of perspectives and experiences. We welcome applications from candidates historically underrepresented in the international development sector. If you do not meet all stated qualifications but feel you can succeed within this role, please consider applying for this position. SBS is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment.
This is a full-time position with an annual salary range of $155-185k annually depending on experience and location. We offer excellent and competitive benefits, including flexibility for remote work and paid time off, with an organization-wide holiday closure.