Visual Design Intern
- USA Only
- 14 applicants (18%)
Apply byMarch 10th2023. Please reach out to[email protected]with any questions about Fuzzy Math's internship program.
We’re looking for a Visual design intern who is interested in applying their knowledge of design in a professional setting while collaborating with a UX design intern and our team of full-time designers and project managers. Over 12 weeks during the summer, the Visual design intern will apply the human centered design (HCD) process on a project with a non-profit client, gain exposure to other projects across industries and platforms, and receive mentorship and support from experienced designers along the way. The Visual design intern will be offered learning and growth opportunities focused on brand vision, visual comp creation, and style guidance.
What You Will Bring and Do
- Put the HCD process into practice on a client project with support from the Fuzzy Math team which includes:
- Conducting discovery research including competitive reviews and site audits
- Creating mood boards, sketches, and other early-stage designs to communicate your vision
- Creating visual comps from low-fidelity wireframes
- Building style guides and other design documentation
- Gain exposure to the UX (user experience) design phases of the HCD process
- Conceptualize, present and explain design decisions effectively, internally and with clients
- Interest in contributing to the culture and success of Fuzzy Math outside of client projects
- Collaborate, communicate and provide direct feedback with other UX and Visual designers
- Interest and experience in solving complex problems
- Strength in storytelling and presenting work and ideas
- Collaborate seamlessly with small project teams and work with team leads to drive projects forward
- Critically think through and execute on feedback from team members and clients
What You Will Gain
- Project work that can be added to a design portfolio
- A better understanding of working at a UX design consultancy firm
- 1:1 mentorship guidance from Fuzzy Math designers
- Enhanced design and consulting skills through practice and feedback
- Available to work full-time for 10-12 weeks over the summer starting in June (exact start and end date can be flexible based on candidate’s availability)
- Able to work core working hours of 9am-5pm local US time
- Currently authorized to work in the United States (no sponsorships are available for this position)
- Can show design work that has utilized the human-centered design process
- Working knowledge of Sketch, Figma, Adobe Creative Suite, or other industry relevant design tools
- Skills in high fidelity UI production and prototyping (using Figma a plus)
What We Care About
- Your passion for design and the HCD process
- Your empathy for users
- Your interest in working at Fuzzy Math
- Your ability to show and talk through your thought process
- What you value
- And most importantly insert your name here
What We Care Less About
- Whether you have a degree
- Where you went to school
Benefits & Perks
- Paid ($25/hour), full-time opportunity
- Note: Additional benefits such as health insurance and 401k are not provided
- Fully remote position
- Flexible hours: We strive for a good work / life balance and understand when someone needs to arrive late or leave early based on other circumstances. We have employees in a variety of time zones across the US, but have a core set of hours ( 11 am CT-3 pm CT) to facilitate project team collaboration
- Remote team activities: We have taken the same playful spirit of our team outings and have brought them to the comfort of our homes! We have held events that involve virtual storytelling workshops and game-based play like pictionary, scavenger hunts, jeopardy, and trivia! (We can get pretty competitive with the trivia games).
- Submit application: The application survey includes information about the applicant, uploading a resume/CV, and submitting a portfolio or other work samples.
- Phone Screen: The phone screen provides an opportunity to better understand an applicant’s experience, discuss what they are looking for in an internship, and answer any questions they may have about the internship position or what it is like to work at Fuzzy Math.
- Portfolio Interview: The final round of interviews provides an opportunity for applicants to dive deeper into their design work and walk through past projects
About Fuzzy Math
Fuzzy Math is a leading user experience design, strategy, and innovation consultancy. We work with clients of all sizes across industries, from covert startups to Fortune 500 household names like Hyatt, GE Healthcare, Microsoft, and Threadless. We work across the user experience space, including design for mobile, web, and emerging technologies. We pride ourselves on our ability to deliver fantastic results with small, agile teams. We’re dedicated to user experience design, from top to bottom — everyone is involved in UX work.
Do Good Work. Be Good People.
Good work can’t be done without creating a sense of belonging, understanding, and empathy. We strive for every team member at Fuzzy Math to feel they have a voice, and we promote a value add culture over a value fit. We have regular retros with team members to give people space to talk, reflect, and discuss issues going on in projects and processes at Fuzzy Math. We come together virtually as a team at least once a month to increase connection and cultivate our culture. Our team members support one another through mentorship, feedback, and collaboration. We welcome changes that create opportunities for us to do better work and be better people.
Beyond our client work, we strive to give back through charitable giving and pro bono projects. We’re also an active member of the design community.
Grow With Us
We are always looking for new talent and people who value diversity, celebrate differences, and encourage people to be their authentic selves. We don’t discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, age, pregnancy, disability, work-related injury, covered veteran status, political ideology, marital status, or any other factor that the law protects from employment discrimination.
Reach out to us to connect, we would love to meet you!
- 14 designers
- 2 co-founders
- 2 project managers