Visual Designer / Illustrator
- USA Only
At Desmos, we’re on a mission to help every student learn math and love learning math. Our free tools and activities are used by tens of millions of students and teachers around the world. We recently launched a middle school curriculum that blends both paper and digital tasks to support social classrooms, invite mathematical creativity, and provoke wonder.
Two features are central to our digital lessons: 1) animated, interpretive feedback on a student’s mathematical ideas and 2) intuitive, delightful interactions designed to encourage creativity, exploration, and observation. These animations and interactions often look like they were authored in an animation editor, but they were actually created using a combination of custom artwork from our visual design team and mathematical expressions built by our interaction developers in our very own graphing calculator.
We’re seeking a second visual designer / illustrator to join our curriculum team in building new delightful, engaging math lessons, as well as revising and strengthening what we’ve already built. You’ll also join us in the work of learning about systemic inequity in education, and identifying and attending to the needs of marginalized and excluded communities in order to build engaging and effective lessons that support all students.
Please include a link to your design portfolio with your application.
What you should show up ready to teach anyone on your first day:
- How to make beautiful graphics for the web using modern design tools (we use a mix of Figma, Photoshop, and Illustrator).
- What makes an illustration delightful and the benefits of clean, consistent visual design across a product (composition, color usage, clean vector graphics).
What you’ll learn more about after you’re hired:
- Our commitment to accessibility, including the motivation for and requirements of various accessibility standards, and how to design from the ground up for users with disabilities (especially visual impairments).
- Our company’s pedagogical philosophy and the unique challenges of designing technology for classrooms.
- Our workflow for developing a new unit of lessons, from initial brainstorming all the way to final release.
- The processes and tools we use to organize our work.
Within your first week, you’ll:
- Introduce yourself on Slack to your new co-workers!
- Collaborate with a member of the curriculum team to polish and create artwork for a middle school math lesson.
Within your first month, you’ll:
- Work with our lead activity designer to learn more about our visual design language and illustration style, using those styles to create full color artwork.
- Modify full color artwork and create new artwork for grayscale paper resources.
- Support the translation team by updating existing images with translated content.
Within your first three months, you’ll:
- Work collaboratively with our curriculum team to develop delightful illustrations for middle and high school math lessons.
- Manage the design needs for our paper resources and translation work.
Within your first year, you’ll:
- Create consistent visual designs across curriculum lessons and materials, collaborating with our lead activity designer to identify new places to add delight.
- Get feedback and improve our workflows so colleagues on the curriculum team can quickly and easily find the assets they need.
- Attend a math education conference (or chat with teachers in another way if in-person conferences still aren’t a thing!) to get to know our users and better understand the role that Desmos plays in their classrooms.
- Take a vacation to recharge. We do our best work when we’re happy and well-rested.