Lullabot is seeking a full-time UI Designer (Mid or Senior Level) to join our design team. The successful candidate will be able to manage themselves in a 100% remote-work environment and possess excellent communication habits in order to work well with other team members and clients. Equally important is that this individual will aspire to embody our Core Values:
- Inspire & Empower - share what you know and attempt to make those around you better than yourself.
- Be Human - strive to be honest, humane, friendly, caring, and humble.
- Kick Ass - be awesome and do work that you can be proud of.
- Invent & Innovate - seek out new possibilities and solutions to create success.
- Collaborate Openly - work as a team with sharing and trust to accomplish more.
- Have Fun - focus on the positive and downplay competition and negativism.
Lullabot is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We strive to be a place where everyone, from any background, can do their best work and feel safe while doing so. We not only believe this is a core part of our Be Human value; it’s crucial to our Engineering Values as well. In recruiting for our team, we welcome the unique contributions that you can bring!
At Lullabot, our designers work very closely, often in agile teams, with strategists, developers, project managers, and our clients to produce beautifully designed digital products and design systems. As a UI Designer, you will be responsible for translating our clients' brands into user interfaces that are accessible, easy to use, and beautiful. You will participate in the early strategy and UX work that lays the foundation for designs that work and lead the design process as it moves from the earlier strategy phase into the visual UI design. You will work with developers to ensure that the designs we create fit the needs and requirements and get implemented in a way that's true to the design intent. You will sometimes work alongside other designers at Lullabot (and client design teams) and sometimes function as the sole designer on an agile product team. You will report to Lullabot's Chief Creative Officer.
- Participate in Strategy and UX Design processes (workshops, research, testing, etc.).
- Assist in planning the UI design process for client engagements.
- Lead the visual UI design process. (Senior level only)
- Assist and collaborate with others in the UI design process.
- Translate client business requirements, UX work (wireframes, user flows, etc.), and technical and content requirements into high-fidelity designs and prototypes.
- Lead Design QA work during development. (Senior level only)
- Assist in Design QA work during development.
- Help Lullabot's strategy and design team continue to improve our approach and processes over time.
- Model and plan design systems for complex sites and products. (Senior level only)
- Create and translate beautiful UI designs into complete design systems and their corresponding documentation, guidelines, and tools. (Senior level only)
- Assist and collaborate in the creation of design systems and their corresponding documentation, guidelines, and tools.
We're Looking For
- Someone with an impressive portfolio of visual UI design work (Senior level requires a broad portfolio)
- Someone with experience leading successful UI design processes (Senior level only)
- Someone with experience participating in the planning and creation of design systems (Senior level only)
- Someone who can lead clients through an iterative process to arrive at great designs that please our clients and their end-users. (Senior level only)
- Someone who is self-motivated and cares a great deal about the quality of their work
- Someone who enjoys working closely with developers and in agile teams
- Someone with at least a basic working knowledge of front-end development (E.g., HTML and CSS)
- Someone with interest in learning about Drupal and large-scale CMS projects (This doesn't mean becoming a Drupal developer, but simply gaining an understanding of how it works)
- Someone with illustration skills
- Someone with prototyping skills
- Someone with experience on large-scale CMS projects
At Lullabot, we care far more about design skills rather than preferred tools. Most designers can learn new tools rather quickly. As we evaluate candidates, we care far more about the quality of the work in your portfolio than the tools you used to produce it. Our team tends to design using Figma but will use other tools (E.g., Sketch, Adobe XD) based on client needs and requirements.
- 2+ years experience (Mid-level)
- 8+ years experience (Senior level)
- Must have a reliable internet connection and a willingness to work from home (or anywhere) in a distributed fashion.
- Must be able to use a computer for up to 8 hours per day
- Must be able to travel 2-3 times per year in the United States for client on-sites and company events. Travel will be limited initially due to Covid-19 considerations.
- We're looking for a full-time (40 hours per week), U.S.- or Canada-based employee who can start within two weeks of being offered the job.
- Ideal candidates will have at least 5 hours overlap during 9 am - 5 pm EST.
How to Apply
Please submit your resume and cover letter through our applicant tracking system using the Apply For This Job button. Don’t forget to link to your portfolio!
This position is open until filled.
Starting Salary Range: $70,000-95,000 USD annually, pay will be commensurate with experience.
Chances are good that working for Lullabot will be like nothing you've ever done before. Lullabot has been a leader in Drupal web development since our founding in 2006. We’re a distributed company without a central office, and our team is spread out across the U.S., Canada, South America, and Europe. We are masters of communication and our tightly-knit team works very closely despite geographical separation. In fact, most new employees say they feel more connected to their co-workers at Lullabot than they ever did at a conventional co-located company.
Lullabot is a 100% employee-owned ESOP, and the majority of our team are full-time employee-owners. We provide a great benefits package including health, vision, dental, and life insurance; a retirement plan; a generous tech stipend for employees to purchase computers, cell phones, or other work-related expenses; and an annual professional development budget. We offer new employees 15 paid- days-off per year, 20 paid-days-off per year after your two-year anniversary, and 25 paid-days-off after your seven-year anniversary. In addition, we offer a four-week paid Sabbatical once an employee hits 10 years with Lullabot. (Plus holidays!) And did we mention there's no commute? Your time is flexible as well, so if you need to take a break to pick the kids up from school, it's not a problem.
We have flexible hours, but we tend to schedule meetings during the North American workday and expect employees to be online and available during most of this time. Self-direction, an approachable and confident attitude, and a focus on quality over quantity are some of the things we look for. We work from both the head and the heart and guide our decisions by our Core Values.
Lullabot, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing an environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based on race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Our EEO policy applies to all aspects of employment, including recruitment, hiring, promotions, discipline, terminations, wage and salary administration, benefits, and training.
One more thing...
We strive to be transparent about our timeline and welcome you to reach out to Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org to touch base on your application at any time. Applicants who require reasonable accommodation to complete the application and/or interview process should notify Human Resources.