Senior Product/UX Designer
Please attach a Design Portfolio with your application. (Required to be considered)
You’re in high demand. We get it. The best people always are.
We could tell you that you’d be on the ground floor of one of the hottest new startups in Silicon Valley. We could tell you how we’re commercializing a collaborative data experience based on our prior industry-leading work at companies like Netflix and Apple. Or we could say to you that we’re building something new and exciting, and will completely change the way millions of people worldwide work with data.
Most people might find this pretty compelling. But you’re not most people. You want more. So why us? Why this opportunity? Because this is everything you’ve ever wanted in a job.
It’s the team you’ve always wanted.
It’s working alongside some of the best & brightest minds in tech. Talented engineers who, despite being leaders in their fields, remain humble and helpful. Accomplished colleagues who can communicate clearly and effectively, and who embrace your contributions with an open mind and no ego. It’s exploring the unknown with a team of dependable, emotionally-mature colleagues who thrive in collaborative environments and are excited by what they’re doing. It’s working with people you truly enjoy working with.
It’s the work environment you’re looking for.
No, that doesn’t mean pinball machines and beer on tap. It’s the freedom to explore groundbreaking new ideas and cutting-edge technologies without first asking permission. It’s the ability to boldly experiment with the unknown, without fear of failure, because we know every failure uncovers new insights. It’s the opportunity to learn more, grow faster, and have more impact than you ever thought possible.
It’s the company culture you’ve been seeking.
It’s being proud of where you work, knowing you are part of a company with moral leaders, strong principles, and unshakeable ethics. It’s fostering a genuinely inclusive workplace, where everyone is treated with respect--and brilliant jerks are not tolerated. It’s a culture of transparency and trust, where you have access to everything and are encouraged to pursue your curiosity. It’s being trusted to make good decisions and being unafraid to take smart risks. It’s about having fun and finding meaning in what you do. It’s working at the most sensible, pragmatic place you’ve heard of.
Because it’s rare to find a meaningful and challenging role you genuinely enjoy. It’s even more rare to find that role at a company with an extraordinary team, work environment, and company culture. But finding it in a well-funded startup that’s poised for explosive growth?
That’s exceedingly rare. Like, once-in-a-lifetime rare. And that’s got to be worth a conversation at least.
How will you spend your days?
- Obsessing on how to make Noteable’s data experience ever-increasingly simple and intuitive for technical and nontechnical people alike to collaborate effortlessly.
- Pioneering best practices for modern visualization-focused data analysis.
- Collaborating cross-functionally with product and engineering teams to define and drive the future of your product line.
- Owning the end-to-end design process, describing your vision and clarifying ambiguity.
- Delivering low, medium, and high fidelity designs that solve challenging and important problems.
- Setting a high bar for quality and working with teams to hit that bar while not compromising velocity.
- Meeting regularly with your colleague designer to provide and gather feedback.
- Conducting quantitative and qualitative research with a focus on outsized impact.
- Strengthening the UX team by bringing in a strong point of view on user experience design and sharing it liberally.
What do you know?
- You’re an experienced designer with ~5 years experience in enterprise software, SaaS, Cloud technologies, or BI solutions.
- You have a demonstrable foundation in typography, interaction design, visual design, and design ideation.
- You have a proven track record of collaborating with diverse teams in a dynamic, rapid growth environment.
- You're comfortable performing all research-related cycle tasks — including requirements gathering, planning, recruiting participants, executing, analyzing, creating deliverables, forming solid product recommendations, and even following-up.
- You know how to communicate with prototyping as a means to explore and convey design solutions.
- You have a deep understanding of how to create usable, accessible, and modular designs that can scale to millions of global users.
- You have knowledge of many UX research techniques and understand the strengths and weaknesses of each.
- You possess a persistently positive attitude, an insatiable hunger for growth, and a tireless drive to succeed.
Who are you?
- Problem Solver. You attack all design challenges with energy and enthusiasm for making our users’ lives better.
- Critical Thinker. You are a strong systems-level design thinker and push to create alignment with your team and stakeholders.
- Collaborator. You are highly collaborative but take pride in ownership of the problem.
- Doer. You have an amazing portfolio, demonstrating both your clean design point of view and commitment to tackling complex workflows. The user is at the heart of everything.
- Communicator. Your proactive communication keeps your team aware, aligned, and connected.
- Learner. You’re constantly honing your craft to stay current on latest trends and emerging best practices, and you enjoy sharing your knowledge with others.
- Multiplier. You have a strong business acumen and an interest in contributing ideas outside of your primary responsibilities, and you don’t mind challenging the status quo.
Nice-to-have bonus interests
- data-related industry knowledge (e.g. data analytics, data engineering, data governance, data management, data science, data visualization, or machine learning)
- notebook-related vendors & products (e.g. Databricks, Deepnote, Google Colab, Jupyter, Mode Analytics, ObservableHQ, Streamlit, or Zeppelin)
- data-related vendors & products (e.g. AWS, Azure, Cloudera, Dataiku, Domino, Hortonworks, Looker, Qlik, Snowflake, or Tableau, Fivetran, Segment)
- Freedom to work remotely anywhere in the United States; we are a remote-only company.
- Competitive compensation, including both salary and stock options.
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance, including a top-tier HSA plan, and FSA plans.
- Generous parental leave; unlimited vacation.
- Pre-tax commuter benefits.
- 401(k) retirement plan.
All data practitioners want to be empowered to play an active role in getting the most out of their company's data. Enter Noteable, an enterprise solution for collaboration with Jupyter notebooks. We are assembling a collaborative "dream team" of talented technologists to bring this vision to life.
Noteable was founded in 2020 by former Netflix, Amazon, and Apple technology leaders, and our team includes contributors and leaders within the Jupyter and Python communities. We are supported by Wing.VC and Costanoa Ventures, and are currently in a rapid growth phase, aiming to double our team size from 20 to 40 by mid-2022.
We understand that sometimes the best people aren’t the ones who ‘check all the boxes.’ We value individual growth, which means not knowing something isn’t as important as your ability and willingness to learn it. We understand that not all experiences are created equal, so the number of years isn't as important as what you did with them. If you answer “yes” to a majority of the skills & traits above, then you’re someone we’d love to talk with!