Senior Product Designer
- USA Only
Hatch is a Sydney based tech startup founded by two of Australia’s most successful entrepreneurs Adam Jacobs (cofounder of The ICONIC, Australia’s largest online retailer) and Chaz Heitner (cofounder Zip Co). Our mission is for all people to find meaning in work.
Finding jobs is hard work, and hiring the right person equally challenging. There’s been limited innovation in this space for a long time. Employment marketplaces still operate on industrial era principles of static CVs and job descriptions that keep people in boxes. We can do better. Much better.
Hatch is building a new employment marketplace that changes the way people and teams come together around genuine fit. We want to level the playing field so that anyone can discover work they’re a great match for, and not be constrained to the boxes their CV puts them in. Our starting focus is the early stages of someone’s career when finding the right fit can be difficult.
Hatch is a for-profit, for-purpose business. We aim to be a global marketplace shaping the future of work, helping people pursue meaning in work for decades to come. We've had 40k+ candidates and 100+ employers involved in our successful Australian beta, including Afterpay, Canva, Airbnb, Spotify, Tiktok and Intercom. We're now bringing our product to the States!
About the opportunity
Let’s put ourselves in your shoes for a moment. You loooove designing products. Well you love lots of things, but the craft of product design sets your heart on fire. You’re also damn good at it. You’ve built deep experience working in product teams, designing and shipping elegant features to solve customer problems. You’re values-driven and want to make a positive contribution to the world around you. You’re now ready to contribute to something impactful, and global.
This is it. This is your time! We’re looking for you.
As our Senior Product Designer, you’ll lead the UX and UI design of prioritised product features, and be responsible for our underlying design system and language. You’ll partner closely with product management, engineering, data science, people science, and go-to-market. You’ll be on the tools as a craftsperson, running a full stack design process to deliver successful and elegant product features.
Two years from now? You’ll be a leader in a growing product design team, of a breakthrough product that’s changing how people find work right around the world.
What we’re looking for
We’re after a talented designer who’s hungry for personal growth and creating an awesome product. If there are three things we truly care about, it’s that you have proven results as a full stack designer for a product-led company, a bias to action, and that you’re humble and curious.
Day to day you’ll be:
- Leading the product design process end to end, including research, problem definition, solution design, testing and iteration. You’ll be on the tools for both UX and UI design, delivering detailed designs for the engineering team to ship.
- Partnering closely with Product Management who will prioritise and approve your work.
- Collaborating with other designers, engineers, data scientists, people scientists, customer success managers, marketers, and our co-founders, in leading the design of our product features.
- Owning our design system and language, and how it is deployed across our product for UX consistency and ease, high UI standards, and fast development cycles.
- Conducting research with our users where relevant
- You’re a senior or mid level product designer, with deep experience working in product-led companies (not only agency).
- You have a passion for the tools & craft of design, with expert knowledge of lo-fi & hi-fi prototyping and experimentation skills using tools such as Figma, InVision, Sketch, and the old sharpie and paper - we use Figma! You are proficient in UI design polish.
- You have experience creating seamless user-centered product experiences through conducting and integrating qual and quant research, and through creative problem solving. You can traverse between high level strategic thinking & nitty gritty details.
Nice to have:
- You have a technical UX skillset with proven experience designing complex user experiences that span multiple user groups, personas, and contexts.
- HTML/CSS/JS proficiency
- Experience in a high-growth startup or similar
- Experience in designing & building experiences in digital marketplaces
- You have an ownership mindset, a bias to action, and organising your work to deadlines.
- You’re motivated to ship product fast and iterate.
- You measure what matters & pursue design strategies that drive measurable user & business impact, with an analytical and experimental mindset
- You have strong collaboration skills and want to work with a good humoured, straight forward team.
Working at Hatch
Our team is brilliant, diverse, talented, and motivated. You’ll love them :)
We’re a feedback-centric culture that values personal growth and high performance. It isn’t a culture for everyone - it’s one that will push you to be your best. We also value kindness and togetherness, proactivity and hustle to drive outcomes, the ability to drive clarity from ambiguity, and innate customer orientation.
- Flexible work culture: about half the week from home and half in our beautiful Potts Point, dog-friendly office
- Packages that include salary + generous equity* so you participate in upside
- Generous parental leave and birthday leave
- Weekly team lunches, Friday drinks and social events with our nearest and dearest
- Team trips (yep - we’re still small enough that we go on little jaunts to celebrate wins / fuel our fire)
If this role sounds like a good fit, we can’t wait to meet you! Please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line ‘Senior Product Designer’ and we’ll take it from there.
*A note about salary. You’ll see that we haven’t shared our salary range in this JD. That’s because we’re open to seeing candidates with skills that are a little under for this role, and a little above, and the salary will match that. To ensure transparency, we’ll share our salary range (which includes equity) with you early in the process, matched to your skill level & potential. Hatch exists to level the playing field for people as they discover the career that’s right for them. We model this with our own hiring processes. We do not discriminate on the basis of gender identity, sexual orientation, cultural identity, disability, age, or any other non-merit factors. To put it simply, Hatch is for everyone.