Senior Editor, Legal
- USA Only
- 0 applicants (0%)
Senior Editor, Legal
at Forbes (View all jobs)
Forbes believes in the power of entrepreneurial capitalism and uses it on various platforms to ignite the conversations that drive systemic change in business, culture and society. We celebrate success and are committed to using our megaphone to drive diversity, equity and inclusion.
If you attended law school but journalism is your true passion, or if you are the editorial lead for a prestigious law publication and are eager to join a bigger platform, Forbes wants to talk to you! We are seeking a charismatic, deeply sourced, and knowledgeable big thinker who is comfortable with statistics to focus exclusively on legal lists and rankings. You will be the arbiter of the who’s who of the legal field creating lists of the best lawyers and firms in the U.S. We expect you to be the face of these lists hosting and producing summits that convene the brightest legal minds. For over 40 years, Forbes has set the gold standard for lists, including the Forbes 400 and 30 Under 30. This position will sit within the editorial team and will collaborate with stakeholders across the company, including growth, revenue, and SEO.
You will be the central player in building new revenue-generating lists by designing high-quality quantitative and some qualitative methodologies and gathering data, seeking out external partners, using other pre-existing data and/or creating new internal datasets. Once the data is collected, you will lead the editorial processanalysis, reporting, writing and/or assigning and editing highly engaging and smart articles and profiles, collaborating with video, photography, social and moreto create clear, robust and compelling editorial content. You will be the spokesperson for these lists and be able to capture an audience’s attention and speak engagingly and persuasively, in person, on video or on audio.
Qualifications & Skills
- Current or former editor in chief of a law publication or at least 10 years as a lawyer and well versed in the field at large.
- Knowledge, experience, and deep sourcing in the legal field.
- Ability to convert courtroom or arbitration experience into a compelling and authoritative stage, video, and audio presence.
- Write engaging, clean copy targeted toward both lawyers and general readers.
- Ability to confidently take complicated or large quantities of data and turn into a clean and compelling consumer storyline that includes a list and full editorial package that will appear on- and off-platform as articles, videos, photography, social campaign and more.
- Familiarity with analytics and facility in using a range of qualitative and quantitative research methods, formulas, survey design, and statistical analysis. Highly skilled in working with spreadsheets as well as common business data sources such as Hoovers and Dun & Bradstreet. An ability to tackle design and analytical challenges as they arise plus quality control checks.
- Engaging interpersonal communication skills, with some people leadership experience and demonstrated ability in managing a small cadre of freelance writers.
- Readiness to work quickly on multiple projects with multiple stakeholders
- Commitment to detail and deadlines with high-level time management and organizational skills, including maintaining an editorial calendar
Bachelor’s degree required
Law degree preferred but not required
The annual base salary range for this role is: $115,000.00 – $175,000.00
Forbes has estimated the compensation range set forth above in good faith. The compensation range is what we believe we will offer, and ultimately pay, a successful candidate. In determining this range, we consider the experience, level of education (if applicable to the role), knowledge, skills, and abilities required to be had by a successful candidate as well as the budget and the company’s pay rates, generally. This said, we may have to make changes to our compensation estimates and job descriptions from time to time and we expressly reserve the right to do so. Should we make any such changes, this advertisement will be revised to reflect such revisions. We encourage you to occasionally re-visit this advertisement to ensure that you are abreast of any changes. Thank you for your interest in joining Forbes!
Forbes aims to offer employees the flexibility they need in order to be successful. We offer a hybrid work schedule for our employees. Some roles may be remote (within the U.S.) if it aligns to the needs of the position. Any employee entering the Forbes office for business or social reasons will need to present proof of full vaccination, unless eligible for a medical or religious accommodation or other accommodation required under applicable law.
Forbes is an equal opportunity employer.