Title: Senior Designer
Location: Work from Anywhere
New York, United States | Full-time | Fully remote
Location: Global, Remote
GiveDirectly (GD) aims to reshape international giving – and millions of lives – by allowing donors to provide capital grants directly to the world’s poorest. The Brookings Institution estimates that $70B of cash transfers would be required to eliminate the poverty gap; the aid sector currently spends $135B each year, much of which is allocated to evidence-free interventions. GiveDirectly wants to change that, establishing a benchmark, and in the process accelerate the end of extreme poverty. GiveDirectly has raised over $700M in revenue ($320M in 2020 alone), while being recognized as one of the most innovative non-profit companies by Fast Company. The growing movement toward cash transfers and GD’s role in that movement have also been featured in This American Life, Foreign Affairs, The Economist, and Business Insider.
Cash transfers are at a potential inflection point: COVID-19 has amplified the challenges of bulkier in-kind aid models, and governments are deploying cash as their most common tool of assistance to vulnerable populations. GiveDirectly has an opportunity to leverage its strong track record ( i.e. operations across 9 countries,, 13 randomized control trials), to both deliver immense impact and position itself as the premiere cash implementation vehicle globally.
We’re looking for exceptional talent to grow our collaborative, diverse team. Joining GiveDirectly provides the opportunity to work alongside individuals who come from 21 different countries and speak 69 different languages. We’re actively working towards an equitable and inclusive environment for all team members, and seek candidates who will bring diverse perspectives and experiences to our organization. We recruit from organizations across all industries: our team has hailed from sectors including start-ups, government, consultancies, investment banks, and nonprofits.
Across our global offices, our culture is candid, analytical, non- hierarchical, and fast-paced. We value ability, adaptability and willingness to learn.
Note: This is a remote role but will need to overlap with EST zones for at least three hours per day for meetings.
As GiveDirectly’s first designer, you will evolve and lead GiveDirectly’s end- to-end design process, from scoping and research to design iterations and visual polish. You will report directly to the Director of Product and be a major contributor to the org’s product roadmap and strategy, working with cross-functional leads across fundraising, field operations, recipient advocacy, and finance to define how best to raise dollars for people living in poverty.
In the last year, GiveDirectly has grown significantly and expanded its impact and reach. The Product team will build on this growth to reimagine how the social sector approaches donor engagement, from increased transparency to promoting recipient choice. This role is best suited for candidates who are highly mission driven and excited to bring their expertise to a fast-paced and quickly growing team.
You’re excited about this opportunity because you will:
- Advocate for both donor and recipient-centered design as the team builds new ways for donors to interact with GiveDirectly and the non profit sector broadly
- Lead the end-to-end UX process to propose, validate and build innovative new products. You are excited to work cross-functionally to influence the broader product strategy, test and validate hypotheses, make data-driven design decisions, and deliver high fidelity specs for engineering
- Define and push GiveDirectly’s marketing and brand design donor-facing products and web content, such as our website and fundraisers
We envision this role to be split as 20% strategy / 50% design / 15% research / 15% marketing and branding – but as our product strategy evolves, so will this role.
We’re excited about you because you have:
- 4+ years of design experience working on digital products with at least2 of those years spent working on consumer products. Portfolio shows intuitive, high quality work
- Experience working cross-functionally, working closely with product and engineering as well as other functions like operations, finance and data
- Strong communication skills and are comfortable advocating for design decisions to senior leadership (including CEO)
- Self-starter with bias for action who is excited to be the first designer on a growing product team and comfortable with broad, ambiguous ideas as well as scoped deliverables
- Comfortable working in Sketch or Figma; Adobe Creative Cloud
- Nice to haves: front-end web development (HTML/CSS/JS), graphic design, data visualizations, brand/creative direction.
In addition to the specific skills required for each role, we’re looking for candidates who are aligned with our GD Values , and who demonstrate our core competencies: emotional intelligence, problem solving, project management, follow-through, and fostering inclusivity.
Why work at GiveDirectly?
At GiveDirectly, we work to ensure that you have everything you need to excel in your role and on your team, including:
- A positive and supportive team with opportunities for advancement and commitment to helping all staff develop and grow
- A competitive salary
- A monthly benefits allowance that covers Health, Dental, and Vision monthly premiums
- Unlimited PTO (that we encourage staff to take!)
- Retirement plan options
GD is committed to observing all local, national and international laws that protect children, vulnerable adults, and basic human rights of all. GD is committed to a policy of “zero tolerance for sexual exploitation, abuse, and harassment (SEAH)” and expects anyone who works for GD to uphold the protection and safeguarding of our recipients as a priority.
Classifications: Remote Full-Time
Posted by: Nicole Warner.