Senior Character Artist
- 8 applicants
Senior Character Artist
$90,000 $130,000 Annually
About Squanch Games:
Since opening our doors in 2016, we’ve recruited a troop of the most hilariously unique talent the biz has to offer. We’re constantly looking to expand our team of incredible people: They’re crackin’ some jokes, making awesomely strange stuff, and thinking outside the box simultaneously — that’s the “Squanch Factor” if you will.
At Squanch Games, we make dreams come true the funkiest, bizarrest dreams from the depths of our souls. Real complex stuff, but you probably know what we’re talking about because you’ve already played our games, right? RIGHT? (Hint: YES).
If you see molds and like breaking them, or boxes and enjoy stepping outside of themONWARD! Also, if you love working remotely, we’re the studio for you.
Think you’ve got what it takes? Go for it. Seriously! Send us your resume!
What you’ll do:
As the Senior Character Artist at Squanch Games, you will create high-quality characters and other wild things that live in our worlds. Every day you will work with the character art team to improve work flows, iterate on ideas, and use your artistic talents to help build out our games. You’ll be the go-to for all things character art. But you know that already! You’ve successfully done this role at another studio, and now you’re looking for a role with more creativity, autonomy, and fun.
In this role, you will:
- Create characters, creatures, and other assets that fit Squanch’s style
- Work closely with the Art Director and other Leads to meet our artistic vision
- Partner with other teams such as Concept Art, Animation, and Design to ensure art meets specifications and quality bars
- Work with Production to provide estimates, review schedules, and deliver assets on time
- Provide regular updates and proactively voice concerns to team members and Leads
- Research and adopt new techniques to drive innovation and push character art quality
- Establish and share best practices for your craft and mentor junior artists
What we’re looking for:
- 2 or more shipped game titles that you worked on from start to finish
- Previous title(s) of Character Artist or Senior Character Artist in the games industry
- Proven knowledge of software such as Maya, Photoshop, ZBrush, and Texture Creation/Material Editing (Substance Painter / Unreal)
- Strong traditional drawing skills and knowledge of the human anatomy
- Demonstration and breakdown of the full character pipeline in your portfolio (High poly, low poly, wires, uvs, textures, and game engine integration)
- Ability to communicate in written, verbal, and visual mediums (We use Slack & Google Meets daily)
- A passion for art, character design, game creation, and all things comedy
- Salary range: $90,000 to $130,000, depending on experience
- Health, dental & vision insurance
- Short term & long term disability insurance coverage
- Paid parental leave
- 401k and FSA
- Flexible PTO & schedule
- Completely remote studio
- Bonus to ensure a comfortable work from home setup
- Monthly snack box
- Monthly stipend for WFH expenses
We are a fully remote studio operating from all over the United States! While we haven’t hit all 50, we encourage applicants from across the country to apply and help us complete our map. If you’re located outside of the US, we still encourage you to apply!
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Squanch Games provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, creed, marital status, registered partner or civil union status, disability status, medical condition, genetic information, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.